PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of moving to San Diego and have ?'s

parkerman
07/12/2003, 10:58 AM
I currently live in MA and just returned from a weeks visit in San Diego. I liked it so much I am considering a move. I am curious what differences I should expect in terms of running a reef tank in that area vs MA. In specific, how much of an issue is the warm weather? Is a chiller a necessity? How much does 2 X 250 MH running 12hrs/day add to the electric bill? The answers to such questions will help me decide between selling off my livestock and transporting the system OR selling the whole system and taking up surfing instead of reefkeeping;) Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Al Parker

o2manyfish
07/12/2003, 10:31 PM
San Diego is a big area that runs from the coast - which is consistently cool to inland which can get quite hot.

Not sure what the exact rates are in San Diego, but I believe/ think the minimum kw/hr rate is about .28 and it goes up to the mid .40's

On a positive note if your near La Jolla, Scripps institute gives you access to pristine natural sea water, you can just drive your truck up to their run off spout and fill up as many jugs as you like as often as you like..... So your salt costs will go way down.

Dave B

Puffygrrl
07/17/2003, 01:51 PM
I live on the border of Orange County/San Diego county line in San Clemente. Even here near the beach (about 1.5 miles off) my tanks have been bumping up a degree or two during midday. I am going out to buy a fan today, but I would not say a chiller is necessary (I run PC's though). As for cost, there is a great thread that was running about electric costs in SoCal -

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=200572&highlight=electric+bill+california

I say keep the system and surf! :) Good Luck!

SurferStevo
07/17/2003, 11:40 PM
Puffygrrl - where do you usually surf down there. There's something about 204's I really like. I can't put my finger on it but it's just fun I guess. :p

anthony0812
07/18/2003, 05:12 PM
Kelly - i guess you are back in town..how are your tanks? they survived your little vacation? I need to take my wife to visit your place so i can get her to approve more tanks in the house..or apartment..hahahahaha:D