PDA

View Full Version : salinity (or sg) swing?

juliedealer
05/01/2000, 01:36 PM
yesterday my 55 gal read 1.024 sg today it is almost 1.026 sg. Do you have these types of swings ? is sg affected by time of day the test is performed, as is pH ? didn't do anything to tank since last reading.

thanks julie

Frisco
05/01/2000, 02:56 PM
Even if your tank has a relatively large evaporative rate, I'd be surprised to see this large of a change in a single day. I assume you're using some sort of hydrometer... Which type? How stable has it been in the past?

JohnL
05/01/2000, 03:34 PM
Ditto Frisco. Also, did your temperature change by much between the two reedings?

------------------
Peace - John

billsreef
05/01/2000, 09:08 PM
If your using a swing arm type they tend to get bubbles stuck to the arm that can give you a false high reading.

------------------
Bill

If damsels grew as big as sharks, the sharks would run in fear!
My dive photos (http://hometown.aol.com/billsreef/)
ICQ 56222784

juliedealer
05/02/2000, 01:13 PM
thanks for the replys. I just had the hydrometer calibrated, ( seatest, plastic one). the temp may be the cause ot the problem, I just installed a 250W MH and I may not have been paying attention to the temp at the time of testing. anyway just decided to do a drip for evaporation to see if that helps.

going really slow with this new tank, haven't added much in terms of livestock, so don't think the swing will cause a major problem at this point.

main focus now is, stability, good water parameters, stability, minimal algae problem, stability,active live sand bed.

[This message has been edited by juliedealer (edited 05-02-2000).]

Robert Schnell
05/05/2000, 06:13 AM
Julie,
I would consider picking up a good glass floating hydrodometer or even better a refractometer. I have found that plastic swing types are not consistent or accurate. I have a 8 foot long 200 gallon tank with a 63 gallon wet/dry/sump with 10 4' VHO bulbs a few inches above the water with no cover. I replace approx. 1 to 2 gallons of water a day. If a missed a few days, my SG changes by less than 0.001.
I have learned in this hobby that it is better and cheaper (in the long run) to buy good equipment the first time.
Bob