PDA

View Full Version : Banggai fry and swim bladder problem?

Callie
04/21/2001, 10:43 PM
I have some banggers that are about 1 month old, they are in a 10 gallon tank with some live sand and rock and a few snails. They are fed enriched artemia and most are doing well. Luckily this time around I have seen no SFS :)

The only problem is I think some of them might have a swim bladder problem. There are a few that swim with their heads pointed up. They don't seem to be able to maintain nuetral boyancy and so are always having jerky movements to keep themselves in place. Is this a swim bladder problem?
Will it correct as they get older or is it permanent? If permanent, should I just cull those individuals now? Except for that they seem fine and eat good, but they are a tad smaller than the rest.

Thanks, Kathy

FMarini
04/23/2001, 02:49 PM
Kathy:
Your present an interesting question.
I do recall seeing some of my fry present w/ similar symptoms as you describe, and i must say that i don't recall these animals fairing any worse in the long run than their "Normal" counterparts.
What i do remember about the jerky swimming was that it only looked weird as far as getting them around the tank, however, since I fed so heavily they never struggled for food, and as such it never became a problem. So I can only say i hope these fish will do well for you. Continue to ensure the fry get properly enriched foods, and since the fry are a bit older you can start incorportating shaved shrimp, crabmeat, etc into their diets. Their growth become exponential(okay..not really) when you start feeding nutritional dense foods.
Keep an eye on the jerky swinmming fry and if you feel the need, cull them away from the normal swimming group. You'll want to continue feeding them seperately..maybe even extra feedings to ensure proiper nutrition, especially in light of the fact that the jerkey swimmers are recieving less food(and hence their rsmaller size)
My experiences suggest these fish will do okay, and it does appear to be a swim bladder problem (I reported this in my 97 article at reefs.org)
my opinion
frank