PDA

View Full Version : Chillers...

algaeguy
07/08/2003, 10:45 PM
Hey Guys...

Anyone have any experience with the Arctica Chillers? I was talking with Dave about 'em on Saturday- hadn't heard too much on them.. I love the reliability and precision of my CSL Power Cooler, but the thing is too damn noisy!

Unfortunately, mine has to be inside (living room), so quiet is essential. (Although I can just see Pierce now-geniious DIYer that he is- trying to figure out a way to run it through the walls and into the attic- LOL!)

I noticed that Mark's had them at pretty competetive prices.. The guys there said that they are "as quiet as a CPU fan"...Sounds nice to me...I was also thinking about Teclima chillers, but they are seriously, ahem- "pricy"!

Anyone have any thoughts...? Quiet, efficient, and reliableare the buzz words. Particularly quiet!

Thanks!

Scott F.

GimmieFish
07/10/2003, 12:50 AM
No kidding. My wife seemed very receptive to the idea of spending allmost $700.00 for an external cooler; she knows the tank ait goin' anywhere.
Did you see the add for the chiller in Walnut?

GimmieFish
07/10/2003, 12:58 AM
It is a 1/4 hp Aquanetics for $500.00.

algaeguy
07/10/2003, 01:13 AM
Hmm...

How quiet is the Aquanetics?

I need 1/3 hp, so I wonder if it's a better deal...

Quiet is good!

cali_reef
07/11/2003, 01:24 AM
I have a 1/3 hp CSL chiller and a 1/6 hp West Cost Aquatic right now, neither one is quiet in the house. I got my 1/3 hp CSL rebuilt off an guy on ebay for $550(or close to it) with a dual temp controller, it looked brand new when I received it.

You need to put it outside or in the garage. I can put a hole in your wall, but I am not patching it back.

I am looking for a 1/4 hp for my 80gal, anyone??

o2manyfish
07/12/2003, 03:01 AM
The aquanetics, is much quieter than the jets the Pierce flys around in.

And if you lived under the flight pattern of LAX I doubt Nadine would care about the noise from the Aquanetics Chiller......

Dave B

GimmieFish
07/17/2003, 10:03 PM
After speaking with some of the Mfg.'s, they don't reccomend going outside on a south facing wall with direct sunlight, even covered, the ambiant temp will drastically reduce the efficiency.
So, in an effort to keep things quiet, I am going to build a cabinet for it that will have plenty of diectional air flow through a couple of baffles.

ReefM@ster
07/17/2003, 10:09 PM
I have an arctica 1/5 HP I can barely hear it. The fans in my canopy are louder.

fahz
07/17/2003, 10:57 PM
I received my Arctica 1/5 HP chiller from www.reefgeek.com last Monday and it's the best think i've bought. Super quiet and very well built. It has taken the worry out of reefkeeping and hot days.
It keep the temp in a two degrees range and seems to run very little. About once or twice a day for about 30 min. I'm running it inline on my sump return on a Mag 9.5.

Fahz

BlueCrocea
07/17/2003, 11:18 PM
I've got the 1/3 Hp Arctica next to my stand and it sits inside the living room. It doesn't bother me when I'm watching TV. It is really quiet. I would recommend it if you are sick of noisy chillers.
I did quite a bit of research and it was the one everyone recommended on RC.

algaeguy
07/17/2003, 11:44 PM
Hey Blue!

Thanks for the feedback...

Curious- how much flow do you have going through the 1/3 hp Arctica?

Thanks!

Scott

BlueCrocea
07/17/2003, 11:57 PM
Scott,
I am using a Mag 9.5 (950 gph). The mag 9.5 is inside my sump and then enters the chiller and back into the sump. I was told more is better than less flow for the effeciency. The chiller seems to do find with the flow rate.. The min for the chiller is rated at 480GPH.

good luck!

algaeguy
07/18/2003, 12:44 AM
Thanks again, Blue!

Sounds like you've come up with a great way to get water through the chiller...I like that idea, because you don't have to mess with the main system pump. That was my big concern (currently I've been using a drop-in chiller), so this seems to be the way to go!

Scott