PDA

View Full Version : A much needed article!

tangelica
07/08/2003, 12:23 PM
Thank you for your very interesting and informative article. ("Mycobacterium marinum: The Fish Disease You Could Catch")

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-07/sp/feature/index.htm

I'm sure all of us who have read it will be performing routine tank work with a bit more care and caution. Good job!

Steven Pro
07/08/2003, 03:11 PM
I am glad you liked the article, but more importantly I am glad it is making some people think twice about thier everyday maintenance activities.

orangereefer
07/08/2003, 06:46 PM
Steve,

A quick question, does the infection start out as small bubbles on the hand or a small bump? The reason I ask is due to me contracting something on my hand that looks more like a rash and looks like tiny bubbles that itches. I've gone to a dermatoligist and they said it's eczema but I'm not incline to believe them. Over the years its come and gone but each time its come back, it's gradually creeping up my arm. At first it infected my hand and now its up to my forearms. I wonder if it's mycobacterium marinum or high degree of eczema. Any help would greatly be appreciated for I had this problem for more than 2 years and its getting worse and not getting any better.

Thanks,
Mel

Steven Pro
07/09/2003, 05:58 AM
orangereefer,

All of the images I have seem, I would more describe as a lump versus a rash, but better to be safe than sorry. I would go back to the doctor saying that you are specifically concerned you may have contracted a Mycobacterium infection. The thing about Mycobacterium is unless they are specifically looking for it, they usually won't find it. It is my understanding that it does not culture well using standard protocols. It takes much longer to grow in culture versus most other bacteriums and it needs to be grown at different temperatures and in a different medium.

If your rash turns out to be eczema, the same kind of precautions I described in the article should help alleviate it; keeping your hands out of the tank as much as possible and wearing gloves.

Best of luck to you,
Steven Pro

coralite
07/10/2003, 09:31 PM
When i started reading your article I thought to myself that I have known of this disease almost from my beginnings in this hobby and industry. In all that time, I had never actually heard of anyone contracting this disease and so had assumed that this illness was an aquarium myth. I can see that you are aware of two people that have had it and it makes me wonder a few things. I have worked fishstores, picked out fish at wholesalers regulalry, cleaned other people's tanks as well as my own, handled tons of rock, wrangled and been bitten, stung and pricked by fish and inverts, in short, I exposed myself to alot of tanks, fresh and salt and have cut and scraped myself underwater many many times. I also have the poorest hygiene when it comes to cleaning and disinfecting superficial wounds and I have never had the slightest problem. I may be lucky or what have you but is it possible to develop antibodies to TB type bacteria or to be naturally resistant to certain strains of bacteria?
I am simply curious because If anyone I know should have caught it, It should have been me a few times over. thanks for the article.

Steven Pro
07/11/2003, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by aquafresh
I may be lucky or what have you but is it possible to develop antibodies to TB type bacteria or to be naturally resistant to certain strains of bacteria?

I would guess luck, but just to clarify, I am not a Doctor nor do I play one on TV. ;)

Steven Pro
07/11/2003, 07:20 AM
aquafresh,
Just in case you were wondering, since I am not a Doctor, my bio is here http://reefkeeping.com/authors/sp.htm

I know of at least three cases (including myself) of Mycobacterium just amongst my circle of friends. Myself and another work in the industry and are exposed to numerous tanks and fish. Don has well over 50 aquaria in his home dedicated to breeding a variety of freshwater fishes.

tjorourke
07/11/2003, 02:52 PM
Steve,

I too have been infected with Mycobacterium. As I remember, it was 4 or 5 years ago. I was working on one of my tanks, my knucle had a very small scratch on it and I didn't think twice about putting my hand into my tanks. As I was cleaning, I was stung on my knucle by an Elegance coral. The sting caught my attention because I had touched this coral many times and had never felt any sting.

After about a week my knucle had swelled considerably. By coincidence someone had posted a thread regarding Mycobacterium to rec.aquarium.marine.reefs a few weeks before. I printed the article and showed it to my doctor who confirmed my diagnosis. 3 months of antibiotics cured the problem and I did not have any long term side affects. I now keep my hands out of my tanks if I have any cuts or I wear gloves.

People working on salt water tanks should be aware of this disease, the quicker the diagnosis the less chance of long term problems.

Thanks for bringing this issue to light again.

Tim O'Rourke

Steven Pro
07/13/2003, 03:44 PM
Tim,

What kind of gloves do you use?

Tcook
07/14/2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by orangereefer
Steve,

A quick question, does the infection start out as small bubbles on the hand or a small bump? The reason I ask is due to me contracting something on my hand that looks more like a rash and looks like tiny bubbles that itches. I've gone to a dermatoligist and they said it's eczema but I'm not incline to believe them. Over the years its come and gone but each time its come back, it's gradually creeping up my arm. At first it infected my hand and now its up to my forearms. I wonder if it's mycobacterium marinum or high degree of eczema. Any help would greatly be appreciated for I had this problem for more than 2 years and its getting worse and not getting any better.

Thanks,
Mel Mel you have described dyshidrotic eczema quite nicely. The term eczema means to "boil out" "weap" or "effervesce" and describes the spongiotic vesicles that are typically seen. A biopsy clearly distinguishes the two conditions you mentioned.

tjorourke
08/29/2003, 03:57 PM
Steven,

Sorry I never responded about the gloves. I haven't been visiting these forms lately, too busy, unfortunately.

I have been using a pair of standard rubber cleaning gloves I found at the grocery store. They only extend just past the elbows, so they are not good for reaching to the bottom of the tank, but they do protect me from cuts, scrapes and fire worms.

Tim

Steven Pro
08/29/2003, 04:26 PM
I completely understand being too busy. Thank you for the response.