MPETERS
07/07/2003, 01:23 PM
Hi,

I just spoke to Ron at ECC about live rock. The prices are as follows:

Kaelina (Tonga Deep) 2.75 lbl
Marshall 3.75 lbl
Tonga Branch 3.00 lbl
Tonga Shelf 3.00 lbl

As you can tell there seems to be no break for ordering large qtys. If anyone is interested in ordering live rock by the box please let me know how many boxes of what kind you want and we will call him and see what, if any, price break he will give up for very large orders.

Can anyone who brought rock from him last time let me know how much was ordered and what it cost. If there is anyone out there who has a "relationship" with him and would like to try and negotiate a better price please let me know and feel free to do so.

At this time it looks like I will be placing the order in about 3 weeks.

Thanks,

JHardman
07/07/2003, 09:00 PM
Mike I think the only way you could get a price break would be to have enough to move into the wholesalers next price bracket (assuming they have one), which might be quite a large order. Unless Ron has changed the way he does his LR, he is not marking it up from the wholesaler at all. Call him and talk to him, he is a straight forward guy and will tell you if he has a price break point with the wholesaler or not.

BTW, we got a rate of about $0.26 per pound on the shipping including all fees etc. BUT make sure you weight each box at the airport (there is a scale inside the terminal, but it is easier to just bring a bathroom scale). The airlines are notorious for charging for the wrong weight, not to mention it doesn’t hurt to make sure the wholesaler actually shipped what they told Ron they did. I would also recommend ordering in the middle of the week, that way you aren't very likely to get something that sat at the wholesaler over the weekend. Remember LAX to PHX is a same day thing, order in the morning and it will be here that evening/night.

MPETERS
07/08/2003, 08:03 AM
Hi John,

Thanks for the info. I know Ron is treating me right. I think we will know more when I know how much rock will be ordered for at least the first load. I am planning on getting mine in 300-400 lbs loads.

I did a lot of work over the weekend and now have my RO system set up. I should be making RO water this weekend or the begining of next week.

Hope all is well at your end.

Thanks,

pillions
07/13/2003, 01:19 AM
Mike,

Are you planning to order on your own or are you interested in having others jump in? I'll need another round of Marshall Island rock (the last batch from ECC was excellent) for the 150g.

Clayton
PS. I work within 5 mins of the airport and could stay late and pickup the rock one evening/night. You and I could meet at Higley and the US60 to make the trade.

mojodeli
07/13/2003, 11:58 AM
Don't do it Mike. The last time Clayton and made a trade at Higley and the 60 he showed up naked holding a sack of pennies in a sock. He got my wallet and I got a concussion. :-0

pillions
07/13/2003, 02:01 PM
I've been exposed.