PDA

View Full Version : GREAT Propagation meeting!!!

Tenner
04/19/2001, 11:35 PM
WOW!

This by far was our best turnout for a propagation meeting. We had many many corals: forgive my spellings here.

Three different Sarcophytons, two umbrella shaped, one finger shaped. One was really large.
Two different - Green star polyps
Good old pulsing Xenia
One Acro from Lance's store, medium size head
One Acro with table growth pattern, very very large.
Neon Green Nepthya - Sinularia
Brown Nepthya - Sinularia
A large candy cane coral, will have to look up the proper name, really nice! many heads.
A bunch of Halemeda Algae

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for participating. Truely this is one of the best things we can do for our hobby.

Thanks,
Matthew

dsb1829
04/20/2001, 01:43 PM
Lots of people, lots of corals, but a little on the disorganized side without our fearless leader.

It was definatley a good turnout. A couple of the guys I know from the forums ended up not being able to make it, but will try for the next one. It is hard to find motivation to fight traffic from Santa Cruz / San Jose to the meetings the first couple of times.

Surprisingly we ended up with more hard corals than softies. We ended up with a few frags of sps and some of that little candy cane. One thing I would like to see is a list of who brought in what and the conditions it was under in their tank.

I brought in a large sarcophyton which was under low current and moderate light. Frags usually take about 1-2 weeks to be happy enough to open regularly and do appreciate a bit higher light than the mother colony until established.

Tank Specs:
175w x 2 MH (recentley upped to 400x2), and 180w VHO actinic
temp 78-82
sg 1.024-6

[Edited by dsb1829 on 04-20-2001 at 11:24 PM]

Tenner
04/20/2001, 03:50 PM
dsb,

Great point about tracking where these corals came from and the conditions. We have also made an attempt, although a feeble attempt, to track the corals and how they do in our tanks after cutting. I was supposed to photograph all the corals last night, but since I left early, not feeling too well, we will have to shoot for next time.

On our website there was a very quick and dirty survey. check it out, it's under the projects section of the B.A.R.E. website.

Also, I would like to thank all those who helped clean up last night.

As for the corals I brought:

Sinularia, neon green nepthya,
Clavaria, green star polyps
Pulsing Xenia, "the weed"
Sarcophyton, umbrella shapped with light green polyps.
Acropora, currently brown, originally tan with green polyps.

Tank conditions:
Salinity - 1.025
Temp - 79-81
lighting - VHO
Medium to heavy current

Thanks
Matthew