PDA

View Full Version : New Membership

chaseracing
07/05/2003, 09:02 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have been looking around for a group of people to meet with regarding Marine Life. I think CMAS may be just what I am looking for.

Anyone not happy with CMAS?
What should I do first to become a member?
What do I need to know that the website does not say?
Have any of the LFS ever given you a hard time about giving you a discount?

Just general questions. I think you can see where I am going here.

Thanks!

-=E=-

jbash
07/06/2003, 08:11 PM
I'm the membership chair, so you won't get any negatives from me:-)

AFAIK all info for joining is on the web site, including the form and my address to snail mail the form.

FYI, we have had trouble with LFS discounts, you should always check. Occassionally a store "decides" to drop the program but they never tell us. I was at Sea Shell once and the owner told me he had called and let us know he dropped the program (but he said he spoke with someone at our listed number and that is a voice mail service so I suspect he just decided not to do it anymore but didn't let anyone know:-) And I know at least one person who has had trouble with a store where not all employees knew about the program. It is also important to double check what is covered. Some stores are only livestock or only dry goods.

I have successfully used my membership card for discounts with no hassle at Living Sea, Pet Paradise, Barrier Reef, Beyond the Reef, Harbor Aquatics, Ocean Design, Advanced Aquatics and Reef Dwellers. That is over the 4-5 years I've been a club member. Perhaps a couple others but I don't remember. Sea Shell was my only bad experience and that was under the old owner (it isn't even called Sea Shell now, but I'm not sure it is a supporting dealer). I live in Chicago and don't get to the farther suburban stores much, in fact there are a whole group of stores up in Lake/McHenry county I've never managed to visit.

HTH. You will find an occassional dissatisfied member--some justified IMO and at least one off the wall:-) CMAS is all volunteer and no where near perfect. Of course we always need more volunteers, especially for keeping in contact with supporting LFSs and soliciting items for raffles!

jim bash

lexusboy
07/06/2003, 08:25 PM
jbash- I wanted to tell you I am sending in my membership form with 8 dollars for a student membership. Just wanted to inform you. When will be the soonest I will get it?

Scott