PDA

View Full Version : Tank raise clown and anemone

OrionN
04/19/2001, 08:23 AM
I MO two Ocelaris clowns for my tank. One was DOA but the other is beautiful and healthy one inches fish. The problem is that he is clueless about the Giant Carpet Anemone (Stichodactyla gigantea) I have in the tank for him. I wonder when he will adopted this anemone. He is healthy and eating. The other fishes are not bothering him, but the tank is high in water movement, I think his is stressed from swimming against the current all the time. I wish he at least got down lower in the tank so he doesn't struggle so much. Some time looking at him struggle, I wish I got a wild caught fish instead.
Should I get a wild caught fish now to teach him, or should I order another tank raise clown? What is your opinion?
I got a 400 g tank with lots of room that is very health at the moment.

Dwayne
04/19/2001, 09:37 AM
Minh - I have a pair of Ocelaris clowns. I've had them for two years along with a sebae and carpet anemone. They have not shown any interest in either one. Although, in the last week they have started to adopt my large shrooms. Go figure.

FWIW

Dwayne

OrionN
04/19/2001, 04:40 PM
So Dwayne, should I order a wild caught fish now to make a pair? I am sure a wild causht fish will adopt the anemone within a few minutes after he see it. I hope this will teach my tank raise Ocelaris to adopt the anemone also.
What is your opinion?

billsreef
04/19/2001, 08:31 PM
For some reason the tank raised Ocellaris do seem rather slow at adopting an anemone. Introducing a wild caught one is no guarantee either. You also have to consider the usuall condition most wild caught clowns arrive in. I gave up ordering wild caught when Tank Raised became commonly available as I was tired of 90% or more mortality rates and constant battles with brooklynella. Just something to think about ;)

OrionN
04/20/2001, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the reply Bill. I really like clown fish because the interaction they have with anemone. I really wanted a pair of clown that will live in my anemone. I have carefully research to make sure that the anemone I have does host Ocelaris clown. I am just disappointed that so far he seems to ignore it.

billsreef
04/21/2001, 05:56 AM
Give it some time, eventually they should figure it out. BTW the only clowns I've ever seen dive rigth into an anemone upon introduction are Clark's clowns.

clwnphish
04/21/2001, 11:53 AM
I have 2 tank raised clown one true perc, and one false, and they both go in a this one bright green bubble i have. It took them about 5 days to realize that it was there, but now they adore it and play in the anemones tentacles all dy.
later
clwnphish

reef_freak
04/21/2001, 03:22 PM
I recently addded a pink skunk clown & purple tip sebae anenome. When I was acclimating them, I put them in the same bag together. The clown had nowhere else to go. Once I put them in the tank, the clown swam out, looked around and swam right back to his host.

Now if I could only get the anenome to stay put in a visible spot! Oh well!!

Callie
04/21/2001, 10:36 PM
Both of my pink skunk clowns added at seperate times, went immediately from the net to my LTA. The male, added 1st, went to the BTA after about 4 day, and the female only took a few hours to also claim the BTA. They now go back and forth between to the two anemones but always sleep and spawn in the LTA.
In the same tank I also have a pair of ocellaris which have been in there the longest (7 months) they have never gone to either anemone but in the last week or so have taken to a frilly mushroom that is in a platic cup I use to attach frags to rubble. So they now have their own little mushroom in a cave home :)

Kathy

OrionN
04/24/2001, 05:37 AM
I have decided to add another tank raise Ocelaris clownfish to my tank. I MO this one from Inland Aquatics. It should arrive in a few days. The first one was from Premium Aquatics. There was no problem with Premium Aquatics. One of the two clowns died on shipment, but to me, fish occasionally died though no one's error other than due to a rough shipment. The main reason I ordered the second one from Inland Aquatics is because I hope to breed them in the future. Hopefully they will be from different breeding stock.
My Ocelaris clown still haven’t got a clue about the Giant Carpet Anemone for him. Hope he will soon.