PDA

View Full Version : ecc lr question

MPETERS
07/02/2003, 09:29 AM
Hi,

Those who brought live rock from ECC how did you like the rock? What type do you think was the nicest and had the most life on it.

I think that in about a month, maybe a little sooner, I will be placing my first order of life rock from them. I am thinking of about 600 lbs to start. Will use the Ref and Sump in the filter room to cure it. Just checking to see what you guys thought was the "best" of the different types they offer.

After that is cured I am planning on ordering 400 lbs from one of the FL. Gulf companins and another 400 lbs from somewhere else. I will keep you all posted as to when I am going to be placing the orders incase someone wants to add to the order.

Thanks,

MPETERS
07/02/2003, 09:33 AM
Hi,

One other question, what was the size of the rock??

Thanks again,

Fliger
07/02/2003, 10:52 AM
Hi Mike, I'll probably order with you on this. I think Norm (soosberries) might also be interested. I've seen some if it & it looks kind of hit & miss but I think with 600lbs + you can put the nicer pieces on top.

Those are gonna be some sweet tanks of yours.

David

tendar
07/02/2003, 11:33 AM
The Kelini rock was pretty nice and sizes varied from 20 lbs-2 lbs and I am pretty sure if you want to bigger pieces you can ask for them.
I would get a variety of rock from ECC like 3-400 lbs of kaleni and a hundred of what other rocks he can get.
Be careful with the florida rock. It comes with a lot of bad critters like rock crabs and mantis shrimps and is fairly expensive to ship since they ship it in water.

Sharpy
07/02/2003, 11:47 AM
I just received 40 lbs of Kelini and 40 lbs of Tonga shelf from ECC on Friday.

The rock is great!! It has tons of correline algae on it and some other plant life, haven't seen any critters yet but probably to soon to tell.

I would buy any more LR I need from ECC in a minute, Rob great to work with as well.

MPETERS
07/02/2003, 11:48 AM
Thanks again Greg. I plan on buying from several different places I will need a total of about 1200-1400 lbs.

dkh0331
07/02/2003, 12:50 PM
I received 65 lbs of Kaelini & 20 lbs of Tonga Shelf from Rob at ECC. I used it to cycle my 55 gal tank and yes I did have some of the coraline die off, but after 5 weeks, it is really coloring up very, very nice. No doubt I will order my LR from Rob.

The pieces were fairly large, I had to cut a couple of pieces. I wouls say from 5/6 lbs to 20 lbs or so.

HTH

David

MPETERS
07/02/2003, 12:54 PM
Hi,

Thanks for all the responses. I will be looking for mostly large pieces and ording a varity of types from him.

Is there one type of what he sells that you think is better then the others. If so I will order a larger qty of that type then the others.

Thanks,

dkh0331
07/02/2003, 12:59 PM
I really liked the Kaelini. I got some really neat pieces.

Give Rob a call, I am sure he'll help you.

David

tendar
07/02/2003, 05:19 PM
I would have to agree the Kaelini was probably the best looking rock we got when we order some a while back followed by the Marshal island adn figi last.

soosberries
07/02/2003, 06:40 PM
Mike if you need that much rock -
I might suggest that you contact one of the California LR dealers. With that much weight you may be better off going over, picking out what you want (sizes/type) and saving the transportation cost that the airlines will charge will offset your gas. The dealer will also give you better pricing on large quantities, especially when you flash him the cash. Depending on landed cost, I could possibly need enough to fill a 65gal tank in the near future.
Regards, Norm

reefyoyo
07/05/2003, 12:28 PM
soosberries, which California dealer would you recommend?