PDA

View Full Version : looking for the perfect plant/algae

rsman
07/02/2003, 01:03 AM
ok here it goes I am about to ask for the impossible, and hope for a reply saying its possible.

i have a 125G FO, and I want to add plant like things to it. it has a few lbs of LR <20ish I am not after nutrient removal, however any i can pick up the better. I would like it to look good, and not be overly consumed by my tangs. i have no problem growing this stuff outside of the tank to add to what if any is consumed, I would like it if the tangs could eat it, but they are fead enough to feed a small country. there are 6 20W NO bulbs over this tank for 120W over a 125G tank. so there isnt a great amount of light available to them.

basically what it comes to is i have a SW tank and am sick of plastic plants, i dont even have plastic plants in my FW tanks, and i want to have braging rights with this tank, and plastic plants dont get me there.

any and all help in the matter is apreciated.

thanks

rotterdamcowboy
07/02/2003, 05:34 AM
I have found that my tangs like to snack on Caulerpa Prolifia - so I've recently begun growing it in my refuge. It's also currently caused the first nitrate reduction I've witnessed in this tank. Previously, I was fighting a losing battle with nitrates constantly hovering around 50ppm despite radical amounts of water changes, etc. Now Nitrates have plunged to 10ppm in only 2 weeks since I've added the Caulerpa.

I keep a combined output of 70 watts of Halogen light on the refuge for 24/7 - in the hopes this will prevent any of the Caulerpa from going "sexual".

lobie-lou
07/02/2003, 11:50 PM
Red C. mexicana
My tangs won't eat it and it looks pretty cool.