PDA

View Full Version : Griss' 200 Gallon MOVE!!

Nanook
07/02/2003, 12:57 AM
OK, today, Wednesday July 2nd is the big day...hope all you fellow reefers will show up in droves...the sooner we get done, the sooner we can drink beer and eat filet mignons!!!!

Dave:)

kmk2307
07/02/2003, 10:34 PM
It was quite the adventure. I'm exited for George and his new setup-to-be. Hopefully he won't have problems with the temporary tub. I can't wait 'till I get to help support the stairs when the new tank comes. "I got it!" :)

Thanks for the frags and the snails, George! Like I said, I never leave your place empty handed!

Kevin

reef-man_d-man
07/03/2003, 05:48 PM
Had a great time and even got some great frags, can't wait until we move everything into the show tank.

epon
07/03/2003, 06:47 PM
Woo Hoo !- I'm gonna call that a success. Like a well oiled machine.

Griss - any morts (mortalitys) ? Hows everyone doing?

I'll send the pics I got when I see ya in chat. I cant wait to see the 300g tub setup with lights. Ill have to come back down and take some killer top down shots.

Thanks for the beers, frags, critters, and chiropracter visit. :p
hehe jk , wasn't bad at all. Just gettin you guys warmed up for nooks move :D

Regards,
frag wh$@e

Markk96
07/03/2003, 09:32 PM
We ran the the electric and with help he got the circuits hooked up.

We got his lights hooked up around 6:00pm, Griss even dropped one of his bulbs in the water. You should have heard some of the words he said.

The bulb made it. Everything was looking awesome under the lights in his tub.

It was great to meet everyone that was there.

Mark

reef-man_d-man
07/03/2003, 11:06 PM
Hows the green slimer? By the way your frags make my coral's(theones I've tried so hard to keep alive and healthy) look like rinky dink toys. O well:)

Nanook
07/04/2003, 06:46 AM
Yeah, it was a success. For those of you who didn't get to see it with all the lighting and JER's protein skimmer running, let me tell you, it was SWEET! That 300g tank was CHOCK FULL of corals.

George had better order a couple 500g tanks if he wants to have room to add more corals!

I think the move was a lot of fun, good to meet all you Illinois folks! Hopefully I will see you all soon at a tank moving party.

Dave:smokin:

reef-man_d-man
07/04/2003, 12:11 PM
Ok George and Dave I think your tanks are a little to big when you gonna do this. However I'll be there to help you guys put the tank in.

epon
07/04/2003, 12:14 PM
ohh cool , so thats what griss and nook will look like cleaning their new tanks. :p

I'd upload pics to this thread , but I'm cursed , everytime I attach a pic , browser (IE6) and machine lock up :(

griss
07/08/2003, 10:28 AM
Thanks to all those who helped move the tank. It was great to see such support from my RC friends:)

Anyway, here's the good news / bad news update.

The good news....the move went well and everything seemed fine:) We had a great group of people help with the move, here's a list:

Nanook
Epon
JER
KMK2307
Markk96
DJSwift
ReeferRon
Kentrob11
reef-man_d-man

The bad news.....Saturday mid morning I went to check on the livestock and noticed that one of the filter screens on a MJ1200 had fallen off and one of my Rabbit fish had gotten sucked to it. I got him loose and he quickly swam into the rock work.

When I freed him, I noticed the water felt a bit warm and checked the themometer....the temp was 90.5 degrees:eek1: It turns out that the temperature probe from one of my Won Heaters had fallen out of the stock tank and was laying on the basement floor, causing the heater to think the temp was in the low 70s. I quickly placed 3 fans around the tub to cool it and eventually got the temp down to normal.

Sunday morning, I found the Rabbit fish dead and removed the body. Also, several colonies were bleaching. Here's a list of the casualties so far.

1 Rabbit fish
1 Lyretail Anthias - MIA
Acropora Sarmentosa (http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/g.rissmann@sbcglobal.net/vwp?.dir=/Reef+Tank&.src=ph&.dnm=Phillstone%27s+A.+Sarmentosa.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/g.rissmann@sbcglobal.net/lst%3f%26.dir=/Reef%2bTank%26.src=ph%26.view=t)
Turquoise Staghorn (http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/g.rissmann@sbcglobal.net/vwp?.dir=/Reef+Tank&.src=ph&.dnm=Turquoise+Acropora.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/g.rissmann@sbcglobal.net/lst%3f%26.dir=/Reef%2bTank%26.src=ph%26.view=t)
Tan Acropora Humilis
Powder Blue Acropora Species
Pink Seriatopora
Neon Green Nepthea
White with Blue Tip Acropora Species
Orange Montipora Digitata

In addition to this the Green Table Acro is bleaching on one side.

Also, the following animals are not looking very good either:
Blue Carpet Anemone
Acropora Youngei (Green Slimer, see my Avatar)
Acropora Gemmifera
Yellow Tubipora
Gold Seriatopora

George

Nanook
07/08/2003, 10:32 AM
Hey George,

I am truly sorry for your losses...man that was a heartbreak to hear about. I am crossing my fingers for the rest of your stuff as well. Hang in there!

dave

jchump5415
07/08/2003, 12:02 PM
Geez Griss, sorry to hear about all your losses. I would be glad to give you a frag of any acros or montiporas in our tank...most of them started as a frag from your tank:)

djswift
07/08/2003, 01:31 PM
Sorry George, That really sucks. I feel bad for you I know how sick to my stomach I get when I lose anything. I hope everything else turns out ok in the end. If you need anything let us know we are all more than happy to help.

Best of Luck

Josh

griss
07/08/2003, 03:30 PM
Thanks guys. If you ever need an anemone moved be sure to call Josh (DJSwift). You should have seen him get my big blue carpet anemone out of the old tank:D

George

dela
07/08/2003, 08:48 PM
George I'm really sorry to hear about your losses. Moving tanks is always pretty risky. Hopefully things will get back to normal.

Mark

kmk2307
07/08/2003, 08:53 PM
George,

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses! I hope the ones that aren't looking too good right now turn around. What exactly is going on with the Acropora youngei? Are both "halves" affected? Hopefully you will be able to get frags of your now lost original colonies back. Please keep us posted on how things are doing.

Kevin

epon
07/08/2003, 09:32 PM
Cant really add anything else that someone hasn't said. Suxs

griss
07/09/2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by kmk2307
What exactly is going on with the Acropora youngei? Are both "halves" affected? Hopefully you will be able to get frags of your now lost original colonies back. Please keep us posted on how things are doing.

Kevin
I think the A. Youngei will make it (both halves). The strange thing is most of the corals that bleached are my better looking, more colorful colonies:( Why couldn't it have been the more plain, brown, ugly colonies that bleached:confused:

George

griss
07/11/2003, 12:30 PM
I am still losing corals to bleaching. Another 2-3 were bleaching when I got home from work last night. It looks like I will be starting almost from scratch with stocking once the bleaching stops.

Fortunately, my T. Crocea, Blue Carpet Anemone and BTA seem to be doing fine.

George

reef-man_d-man
07/11/2003, 01:33 PM
Well this situtation sucks but look at the bright side, George gets to try new and exciting corals and he has a good reason, so his wife can yell at him to much.

Hey George what are you gonna use for substrate in your new tank?

griss
07/11/2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by reef-man_d-man
Hey George what are you gonna use for substrate in your new tank?
I am leaning toward 1-2" of Special Grade Reef sand. The reasoning behind this is I will have A LOT of water flow and don't want to have to deal with a DSB blowing all over the place. I'll probably have a DSB in the 300 gallon refugium though.

George

reef-man_d-man
07/11/2003, 03:16 PM
The substrate idea sounds good, you said alotta flow so is that due to the Tunze? or do you have something else in mind?

kmk2307
07/11/2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by griss
I am still losing corals to bleaching. Another 2-3 were bleaching when I got home from work last night. It looks like I will be starting almost from scratch with stocking once the bleaching stops.
George

I'm really sorry, George. Is the youngei looking any better? I'm glad the clam and anemones are OK.

Kevin

reef-man_d-man
07/14/2003, 04:14 PM
I was moving the sand that george gave me from his old tank into my refugium froma quaranteen tank and noticed it smelled awful (worse than 20 dead fish in a tiny bucket sitting for 2 weeks in the sun). So did anyone else notice a smell? should I do something I put some in before i noticed the smell so I do have some of it in my system so far no level spikes but im worried. Anybody have some advice.

dela
07/15/2003, 10:51 AM
Hey George,

Have you noticed if the tank raised corals have fared better then the wild caught ones? Just curious.

griss
07/15/2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by reef-man_d-man
The substrate idea sounds good, you said alotta flow so is that due to the Tunze? or do you have something else in mind?
Dallas, Yes the Tunze Streams combined with 3000 gph return from the AmpMaster return pump.

Originally posted by kmk2307
I'm really sorry, George. Is the youngei looking any better? I'm glad the clam and anemones are OK.

Kevin
Thanks Kev, the Youngei is looking okay as of last night. Not the bright vibrant green it used to be, but does not appear to be bleaching.

Originally posted by dela
Hey George,

Have you noticed if the tank raised corals have fared better then the wild caught ones? Just curious.
Mark, tank raised versus wild caught did not seem to matter. I am estimating when all is said and done I will have lost close to 80% of my corals. Of these 1/2 are original captive corals and the other 1/2 were wild caught.

George