PDA

View Full Version : July Meeting.

SeanT
07/01/2003, 06:46 PM
Hi everyone,
Like stated a few weeks back I am planning on our first meeting for the weekend of the 19th or 20th of this month.

I will host our inaugural meeting at my house.
What I would like to do is have a list of everyone who thinks that they may be able to attend and which day would be better, the Saturday or the Sunday.
We will let majority rule that one.

Some things I would like to do at the meeting are:

1. Trades/sales.
-Start chatting about any thing extra you have or don't want anymore and see if it perks some interest.
I for one am always on the lookout for SPS & Clams. I am currently looking for a good uses pH monitor.

2. Sand swap.
-It would be great if everyone could bring about a cup to a cup and a half of his or her sand. We mix it all in a bucket and each take a cup home. By doing this we introduce a large amount of diversity and reseed and inoculate our bacterial/detrivore populations.
This is a very vital thing that needs to be done yearly regardless of how.
!!!!!!!!!!IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!
IF YOU HAVE CYANO, DIATOMS, OR ANYTHING ELSE EXTREMELY UNDESIRABLE IN YOUR TANK DO NOT BRING SAND! (Bubble algae and such doesn't count. We all have that lol)
If you DO have these type conditions, don't worry; there will be enough sand to help you out as well.

3. Possible Nassirus snail collecting Expedition.
-Here, Wilmington, around the intra-coastal waterway we are able to collect Nassirus snails for free. They are EXCELLENT detrivores. They cost about $1 online PLUS shipping. We can get them for free.

4. Macros.
-For those of us with refugiums, we know the importance of a variety of macro algaeā€™s in there. Where one slacks of in some areas of nutrient export, others are top notch.
If you have macros to trade/sell bring them on down.

I have a lot of frags/Zo's to trade and sell. I also have started a Live Phytoplankton culturing station.
By the time of the meeting I will be in my second batch. I plan on selling it very cheaply. It is Nanochloropsus (the EXACT same as DT's...only mine is fresher :D )
The charge will be minimal.
I only ask two things.
1. Bring your own plastic soda bottle (Thoroughly washed so you don't contaminate your tank) to take some home with.
2. TELL ME NOW IF YOU WANT ANY. When this batch is matured I have to split it to start the next one's. If you don't let me know ASAP that you want some thee will not be enough to go around.

If anyone else has any suggestions for the meeting let me know.
BTW: I will be BBQ'ing hot dogs and such.
If a few of you could bring a 6 pack of soda or some chips etc. that would be excellent.

Thank you,
Happy Reefing.
Sean

SeanT
07/05/2003, 02:11 PM
It is still set for the 19th. I am thinking a good time would be 1 pm.
If anyone has any other suggestions feel free to post of course.

SeanT
07/07/2003, 10:10 PM
Ok so far we have 9 people and guests attending.
Looking good.

Navymedic
07/10/2003, 08:35 PM
Hello all

My name is Mike and i am a member of ORCA in Orlando, currently i am in Camp Lejeune (activated reservist) and miss my Tank very much, my question is, can i participate in your meeting? as you can see i have already posted my nano for trade in your forum, ;) . I can bring soda, hotdogs, chips and stuff. will you have a frag auction with proceeds going back into the club? (we do that in ORCA) how about door prizes? another idea that you can use is having a LFS sponser you guys and offer a discount to club members. I like your idea on the snail collecting and would love to help you guys out if possible ( i can't keep any so i'll just give it to you guys) thank you once again. My email is acevedoma@lejeune.usmc.mil

Mike

attach is a pic of me before i moved to Orlando

SeanT
07/10/2003, 09:22 PM
Hey Mike,
OF COURSE you are welcome at the meeting.
The more the merrier.
I always enjoy talking with fellow hobbyists who bring their own knowledge and experiences to the fold.
PM Me or email me for all details.
Sean