PDA

View Full Version : What's on your wish list???

ez1ez
07/01/2003, 03:41 PM
What do you like/want to see at your LFS? Corals, Fish, Dry Goods, anything, whatever you wish they carried more of.
I wish they carried more wild colored zoo's. Something other than green. More of the bright colored gobies.

bdr127
07/01/2003, 03:55 PM
I agree! More zoos! I love zoos so much, and most LFS just kinda push them to the back as if they don't care.... :mad:

bdr127
07/01/2003, 03:57 PM
How about captive SPS frags..... Nothing sucks more than buying a gorgeous wild SPS colony then having it change color or dying when you put it in your tank. Captive frags are so much more hardy and stable. I guess they aren't as flashy for the LFS, though, and the mark-up probably isn't as good, either. :p

ez1ez
07/01/2003, 04:23 PM
I'd like to see tank raised clams. Blue,gold.... no one has them and when they do they are 3x the normal price.

boomtown
07/01/2003, 05:34 PM
I'd just LOVE a sack full of money.

Tank raised clams? Never heard of them and as far as I know they aren't being done yet. Have you found them someplace ez?

Brad, the problem with captive raised sps is this, cost of frag to cover all the overhead associated with growing it out before being able to sell it makes cost of said frag similar to that of wild colony. Customers asks price of wild colony, then of captive frag. You tell customer, he scratches his hiney, smells his finger, then looks at you like you're osama himself. Explain to customer everything that goes into a captive raised, all the advantages etc etc, customer says bag the wild colony and then tells everyone how nuts the store owner is and how outrageous the prices are.

ez1ez
07/01/2003, 05:59 PM
I hear that.... ok clams.. nice blue ones..

The Aquarist
07/01/2003, 06:07 PM
I'd like to see more diversity in livestock and dry goods.

I'd like to see care requirements listed for all livestock so every fish/creature has the best chance of survival in ANYONEs tank.

I'd like to see very detailed product specs on ALL dry goods (Lumens, amps, watts etc) and I'd like to see more of that from every listing on every aquarium suppliers website WITH PHOTOS!

I'd like to see a new trend of LFS and online suppliers having regular contests for $300.00 in store credit and I'd like to win frquently!

I'd like to get a $5000.00 grant in aquarium supply credit to set up my dream system!

If that can't happen, then I'd like to at least see the price of Yellow Tangs come back down to normal!

bdr127
07/01/2003, 08:17 PM
I'd actually like the LFS's around here to put something decent on their website (if they even have a website!)
My local stores just have their address and pictures of fish/corals (not ones that they have, though). Keeping an up-to-date list of inventory is really great.... If you're looking for something in particular, all you have to do is jump on the web. :)

ez1ez
07/01/2003, 08:45 PM
Nice posts.. I to would like a name and specs of a fish on a wall, so I know what Im buying. How about an RO/DI water dispenser,

ladymagicka
07/02/2003, 10:28 PM
My wish .,,,,especially as a newbie ....,when going to a LFS without the help of my friend..... tanks are nicely labeled on occasion with prices..great,, but can't always identify things by there name..... a little tag with a picture, species and price.....Living Reef does it that way,,, so much easier when you have no idea what things are......my other wish.. that the 'hard to keep corals' were easier to keep...:D they're my fav's.

The Aquarist
07/03/2003, 07:43 AM
The pics would be good. I see many place that have fish or coral in their tanks and they are not even listed on the tank! Once it's in there, people need a little info! They want to sell this stuff, don't they?

bdr127
07/03/2003, 08:45 AM
I agree... labels with pics and prices. I'm lucky enough to have been around a while and a geek enough to study this stuff :lol:, so I know most of what is at the LFS. But most people don't. Especially when there is something new or rare, that stuff needs to be marked.

I also really hate having to ask an employee prices on everything in the tank.... I'll go to the LFS and be interested in a whole bunch of things (and who isn't! :p) So I really don't like being like "And how much is that?.... And that?.... How about that one?...." I'm willing to spend money, but sometimes things are outrageously priced and not worth the money. Maybe they purposely don't put prices on display so that people aren't scared away and/or so people might ring it up at the register before asking the price?

The Aquarist
07/03/2003, 09:22 AM
There's one LFS in NJ that has frequently had fish in the tanks and they are not listed on the front glass. I've had to ask several times about prices and the guy has to go ask the boss or see the order bill from when they arrived to see what to charge. That seems crazy to me. After having to wait 15 minutes just to get a price a few times, I just stop asking. The same goes for dry goods. I want full info and I want the price. I don't want to have to wait until the people who there are finished helping other customers to get a price or info and decide it's not for me. If everything I need to know is out there from the start, I could read and decide.

eifert
07/04/2003, 12:04 AM
metal halide lighting for a good price...
more giant clams!
true scarlet hermet crabs...
prices on everything -posted beside the tank(with a general description of each next to the tank- where the fish/coral is from. Conpatability-when it arrived)
a list of things that may not be on display (macro algea, frozen food, live rock, RO/DI water that sort of thing)
clean tanks!!! (scraped - dead fish removed - proper lighting)
how about some 2 for one deals on corals...

I know I'm asking a lot, but if a place had these things I would be there every week with my paycheck.

ez1ez
07/04/2003, 07:31 AM
Yes Macro's, I would love to go in a LFS and find many types of macro's and not just calerpa.

ladymagicka
07/04/2003, 06:03 PM
yes two for one's would be quite welcome, especially for us newbies, and considering the morbidity rate..:lol: kidding,, hopefully not an issue....so far so good,,just the basics i'm having trouble, my fish seem to be happy and my coral, looks lonely,,the only one so far.... yes.. definately two for ones... or free live rock with purchase of corals..hmmmm just 'fishing' -- wishing...

Ctdogdoc
07/06/2003, 02:39 AM
For me - it's employees with a good knowledge base that makes the biggest difference. You're paying to buy/sell/maintain this stuff - invest $50 in your employee and get them up to speed! A lot of what we have listed in this thread could be accomodated if the LFS employees knew enough to sell what should be sold to who should buy it! Employees would take pride in the tanks, keep them clean, take care of the livestock, and could get the right stuff ordered when it needs to be there. Stupid people who don't care and can't even come close to answering questions are the most frustrating to me. Make me feel like you can't trust what they are selling cause they don't even know what they're selling, IMHO.

Honestly... I feel that AquaDreams (Feeding Hills) comes as close as possible to this idea. I've watched them clean the tanks for the third time that day, even though they don't look like they need it. Anything you want, they'll try to get (including captive raised frags of anything they can frag from their own stock) - and they'll talk you out of something you have no business getting.

I have to also say, I 100% support the free gift certificates and anything else free that they want to give me (except more free aptasia. Got enough of that once upon a time, than you much!).

engagg
07/07/2003, 06:49 PM
I would like to see the prices on tanks, I hate going to a fish store and having to walk around with someone asking how much everything is. It is even worse when you back the next week and ask again the price is different!

Greg

ladymagicka
07/07/2003, 08:28 PM
even worse when you can't really tell who works there.. and they see you and don't acknowledge you so that you do know who to ask... ...i just leave go somewhere i'm appreciated...

ctreefer
07/08/2003, 02:48 PM
Ditto to that LadyMagicka.

The local store I visit I can never get anyone to come
over to answer questions (mainly on price). They hang
around and talk to their buddies or regulars. I usually
end up leaving and saying to myself its the last time I
go there. (I'm back by the next week)

ladymagicka
07/08/2003, 03:01 PM
yes,, and only to look and leave once again..i do keep going to look,,just never end up buying there...but there's a method there...eventually you go so much they start to think of you as a regular too, they may talk to you....i'im sure you've heard the defintion of insanity?....