PDA

View Full Version : LFS in Cleveland area

Coach
04/29/2000, 08:23 PM
Planning a road trip are there any good LFS in the Clevenland area. TIA Coach

fade2black
05/01/2000, 05:48 AM
Try Aquatic Adventure. They have a pretty good selection and the people that work there are pretty knowledgable. They are at I480 and Ridge Rd. You can see it from 480.

F2B

dendronepthya
05/01/2000, 12:21 PM
Aquatic Adventure is an OK store. It has some really nice Dutch Aquarium show tanks, and some decent equipment. The problem with them is that they are roughly 125% overpriced.

Another store you may want to consider looking at it Aquatic Technology. I'm not 100% crazy about them either, but they have a very nice selection of livestock, and the most complete selection of dry goods I have seen locally.

fade2black
05/02/2000, 05:46 AM
I agree with you that they are WAY overpriced, but they have a lot of tanks! Where is Aquatic Technology located?

F2B

dendronepthya
05/02/2000, 07:59 AM
I believe Aquatic Technology is off on 82 off of I-71. Their webpage is www.aquatictechnology.com (http://www.aquatictechnology.com) I think and they shold have their address on it. They tend to be overpriced as well, but I would at least consider purchasing something there.

CleveYank
05/03/2000, 04:44 AM
North Coast Marines Solon Ohio (near Cleveland)
He's got a website.
But Marc is not very friendly and although it is by appointment only he sometimes has shot through on a few others I have talked with. He's always made the appointment when I was there but he still is about as friendly as talking to a rock......well that is until he was ringing you up.
He does have one of the most total state of the art systems going.
He also gets in some of the best overall livestock than anyone I have ever seen.
He really does quarantine his fish.
I've seen more LFS's come and go in the past 15 years and he still has by far the best quality and livestock.
He also ships worldwide.
But his repiore sucks.
Prices and quality are excellent.

The Coral Connection in Willoughby Ohio
Great guy, & free advice, was in there and he even gave me a freebie frag of star polyp.
Excellent quality and well rounded stock. Limited on the variety of additives and resins and the like but I guess he carries what he feels works. The couple times I was there he had a couple folks wander in that he knew and it was like a big reuinion. Nice guy, feel he wouldn't screw ya.
Very state of the art setup and livestock is excellent and the prices are good.

If I were you, if a road trip is what you have your heart set on, drive up to Romulus, Michigan and go to Tropicorium. I know it is 279 miles from Cleveland but hey if a worthwhile road trip is what you are after then this is the place to go.
28 corals for $279 and the quality is kick butt......at 10 bucks a piece tell me where you can find better? I have seen wild specimens elsewhere of the same size and quality for $30 to $50 EACH. And this stuff is all captive bred. I understand they ship and they also have a website and sell almost anything you could hope to find.....almost.

These are the absolute best quality and price points that I have seen.

Oh do not under any circumstances even consider going to RMS Aquaculture......it's a fish selling factory which probably kills more fish in a day than a japanese fishing boat. I'm not kidding. Scenes of fish swimming backwards and about 10 or 20 percula clowns dead or dying on the bottom of one of their tanks linked to their open system is the norm unfortunately. Passer angels starting to abnormally swim in sideways loops. Only things they don't kill are crabs and customers with money.

[This message has been edited by CleveYank (edited 05-03-2000).]

fade2black
05/03/2000, 05:53 AM
CleveYank - I know what you mean about Marc. I've made several trips down there to buy stuff from him..in fact every coral I have is from him. The Coral Connection is overpriced if you ask me. I used to live right down the street from there so I would go there just because it was convenient. He is very friendly and was a huge help in starting my tank, but $40 for a small rock with a couple of mushrooms is rediculous. You're almost better off digging through his live rock and getting some with corals already on it :)

F2B

CleveYank
05/05/2000, 01:34 AM
Hey Fade2black

Well when I was in there my girlfriend bought me a rock with 6 green neon glowing and I mean glowing mushrooms on it for $30 and all of the mushrooms were nice and big and all were $30 so maybe he lowered the price. Coral Connection that is.