PDA

View Full Version : New mushroom owner

Mmaggicc2
06/30/2003, 06:01 PM
Hi, I purchased this mushroom rock two weeks ago. I have 4-65W PC lighting (2-10,000 and 2-actinic). They seem to be doing nicely. I placed the rock on the sand with hopes of placing it a little higher in the tank once they were established. Today I noticed that one of the mushrooms has detached from the rock and is sitting on the sand. It's a lighter color blue and is quite a bit smaller. I'll get another picture after I post this. My question is : is this normal or is it a sign that it's not happy where I have it ? Would appreciate any suggestions and theories. Mary

minh_han
06/30/2003, 06:09 PM
If your rock had a lot of mushrooms, then sometimes they detach themselves to find a better, less competitive space. It might not mean you're doing anything wrong at all. Congrats on starting a mushroom collection.

reefer240
06/30/2003, 06:23 PM
I have some ricordea that divide occasionally and the little ones usually float themselves around the tank until they find a suitable spot. I recently added a rock with some red mushrooms on it and one of the small ones bailed of and found a spot in the sand it liked, I have no idea why as it wasn't a crowded rock, but it seems to be doing well. I haven't managed to kill one yet, so you should be okay (lol). They're really pretty hardy.

Good luck

Mmaggicc2
06/30/2003, 06:27 PM
minh_han- Thank-you. It's really fascinating. There are so many different colors..too much fun ! I just took another picture to use as a comparison. I'm glad to hear that it's normal.

Mmaggicc2
06/30/2003, 06:31 PM
reefer240- I guess they have a "mind" of their own. Nice to know that they are hardy...I need something that's hard to kill :)

Mmaggicc2
06/30/2003, 06:36 PM
Sorry, posted the same picture twice. This is the latest one.

bmcq
06/30/2003, 06:43 PM
congrats on the mushrooms .... I started with a single rock with maybe 3 mushrooms on it about a year ago. Now I probably have 50 - 60!!!! I tried to get them all in 1 area of the tank .... but no luck. Every once in a while you see one "parachuting" along in the current to find a new spot. They are very hardy and will multiply readily .... good luck with yours!!!

reefer240
07/01/2003, 08:24 AM
Those are awsome colors too!

Mmaggicc2
07/01/2003, 09:26 AM
Thanks ! I really appreciate the input. I will be trying some ricordias soon. My LFS is getting a shipment in today. This is a very addictive hobby:D

DownUnder-Reefer
07/02/2003, 03:03 AM
Yes it is and I also love mushrooms:)