PDA

View Full Version : light intensity and mushrooms

Ralistin
06/30/2003, 10:55 AM
I have a rock with green, red, and blue mushrooms on it. I placed this in a tank with 2 x 250w Iwasaki MH and 2 110w blue actinic bulbs. This is a 75 gallon tank. I placed them on the sand bed but under a rock shelf so they don't get too much light.

My understanding of mushrooms is that they are a lower light coral and prefer this. My blue mushrooms though have turned to a darker purple, the red mushrooms are still red, and the green mushrooms have changes to a more pale shade of green and I could almost swear they got slightly more frilly.

Correct me if I am wrong but would putting these mushrooms in full light, even if on the bottom of the tank be too much for them to handle and they would probably move some on their own to avoid the light? I am thinking of fragging a few and try to get them to grow on the glass on one side of the tank.

Bryan Thompson
06/30/2003, 04:09 PM
Move them to more light. My blue and red love light. They are under 400W MH.

Bryan

liquidfluidity
06/30/2003, 09:18 PM
i have found that different colors seem to like different amounts of light. i have some green hairy types that opened up and intensified their color four fold once they started getting more light. i have other darker colors that seem to prefer less light. experiment and post you findings.

lllosingit
06/30/2003, 09:27 PM
I have blue, purple and green and all three love to be out in the light.
I have them under 3x175Mh and 2x95 VHO actinics.
The shrooms in the shade don't expand much and don't spread at all but the shrooms that are closest to the lights are spreading like crazy and swell to three times their size when the lights are on.