PDA

View Full Version : Lighting for 10 gallon for Zoos?

jffuerte
06/29/2003, 09:52 PM
I have a 10 gallon i was planning to convert to a lil nano with just zoos and maybe a fish or 2. I was wondering if zoos would be able to flourish with just a regular NO flourescent hood like the ones sold in petco and walmart. I just wanted a seperate tank for zoos. Is possible of do I really need to go with PCs?

john76
06/30/2003, 11:42 AM
They might survive, but they wont thrive

flamehawkfish
07/02/2003, 11:54 AM
If you get a 55W 1/2white-1/2blue PC bulb/fixture, it shouldn't run you much more than $100. It's your only option in a tank that small. I'd also mix in live sand w' crushed coral and get some carefully selected live rock. That lighting- coupled with a decent hang-on-back skimmer for some waterflow & aeration- should be enough. As for the fish, I'd stick with a tiny goby or clownfish (it would probably accept almost any host- mushrooms, green stars, etc.). 10 gallons is really confining for any wild-caught fish; I have a 20 gallon tank and I sometimes feel guilty for having a few fish. Another option would be 5 blue-legged hermits; they usually go unnoticed in a big tank, but might show some character (and good janitorial skills) in a 10 gallon tank.