PDA

View Full Version : 120 gallon tanks and up.

partagas
06/29/2003, 03:03 PM
Anybody that has a 120 or higher, could you let me know how you set it up. Now that I have the 125, I need to know what i'm in for. To start it will be LS/LR FO, the slowly upgrade to Reef. I was thinking of using a 55 for a sump with a skimmer in it. would that work? Also how much LS & LR would I need it it? Just trying to get a head strat on the stuff for it. Thanks

greenman
06/29/2003, 05:18 PM
im going to document from a to z the 120 im setting up....
Ill keep u posted

partagas
07/21/2003, 09:52 AM
OK, I now have the 110 also. I would like to set it up the cheapest way possable, due to my contract at work ends in a couple of weeks. So I will be out of work and not have extra money for the new toy. I spoke with my dad and asked about putting it at the greenhouse. He said he will check and see if they have space. It can not go in the glass house's due to the temp during the day gets around 100-110. So they are looking for space in the shop. I have some ballasts that I got from another RCer. But they are low powered. I think the Highest is 40w. Do they make VHO's for 40's? Also any other help would be great. I would also like to try to make this a " Community Tank" so if anybody would like to try and grow something out, here's the space.

Let me know.

DanConnor
07/21/2003, 03:08 PM
I think a 55 sump would be fine. I got my LR from Paragon in CT. Its good because you can pick thru it yourself and by getting very airy open light pieces you can save a lot. Sorry, I don't recall how much I bought.

partagas
07/21/2003, 05:19 PM
Dan, do they have a website? And do you remember the price range?

fishtanker
07/23/2003, 09:58 AM
i just finished my 125gal that i got from eddies....i used a 30gal for the sump, kent natulis skimmer with RIO 2100, mag drive 15 for return, 4 MJ 1200 for circulation, and pro-heat titanumin heater 300watts...i think a 55gal sump would be better (obvisouly) but i didn;t have one laying around.

vmiller
07/23/2003, 10:53 AM
Hey fishtanker,

How's your Achilles doing? I've had mine for over 8 months now. He's healthy, but is having trouble kicking the last bout of ick. I'm installing a large uv sterilizer this weekend, so hopefully this won't be a problem for much longer.

fishtanker
07/23/2003, 04:25 PM
vmiller,

my achilles is doing well...just got past his second ich outbreak (i don;t think i hypo'd long enough the first time). i see you got your achilles at eddies also, always good fish from there. I've been feeding mine nori, romaine lettuce, folmula 1 and 2, and Zoe and Selcon soaked brine. these fish are definetly are one of the most diffucult fish to keep.
I hope yours feels better :(

fishtanker
07/23/2003, 04:27 PM
i'm also thinking of getting a UV. What size UV are u getting and what type. I was thinking of a lifeguard 25watt

vmiller
07/23/2003, 04:46 PM
I have two tanks plumbed together as well as a large sump and refugium which totals to over 400 gallons. As a result, I need some serious uv. I actually made my uv setup myself with 6" PVC. The bulb is an Emperor 150W HO. I bought it as a diy kit from saltyzoo.com

You're lucky you're Achilles made it through hypo. They don't like low salinity. There's actually a term for this, but I forget it.

I feed mine all three colors of nori along with red, brown, and green gracillaria. The green doesn't go over so well, but he chows down the other stuff. I use selcon and Kent's garlic xtreme as well. The garlic doesn't seem to do much good though. I also feed my tank live baby brine and he doesn't go near it. He's a strict herbivore :)

fishtanker
07/24/2003, 04:11 PM
i also read that achilles' don't like hypo but my problem was that my HT wasn't big enough to accomodiate all of my infected fish. I didn't want to put copper in the display tank so i hypo'd instead...the tang actualy didn't seem to mind the hypo.

i also noticed that the garlic doesn't seem to do too much so i stopped feeding it....i'm gonna try some of the other algea's to see if he takes to any of them.

let me know how that UV works for u :)

vmiller
07/24/2003, 04:24 PM
Any aggression between you Achilles and Hippo? I think this might be one of the safer tangs to keep with an aggressive Acanthurid.

Vin

fishtanker
08/06/2003, 09:37 AM
not too much aggession between them....the hippo is a lot larger than the achilles (6-7" hippo, 4" achilles), however the achilles always seems to be battling with my spotted hawkfish, and the hippo likes to fight with my LN butterfly. the only good resident is my yellow box...

can't we all just get along ;)