PDA

View Full Version : AquaWorld Stuff

thedude
06/29/2003, 10:39 AM
Just got back from Aquaworld and they have some outstanding corals in right now.

I bought a really nice finger leather and probaby the nicest cup coral I've ever seen. They also had some nice hammers, fox coral, cup coral, and mushrooms. And several more.

The most outstanding piece was either a torch or frogspawn (I forget) that was circular and about 18" in diameter, $225 (ouch). But it was really nice. Prices on other stuff was pretty good.

thedude
06/29/2003, 02:53 PM
Added note:

The rock my Sinularia came on was pretty well infested with red flatworms. I caught it this morning when the worms just seemed to be waking up and I immediately pulled the coral off the rock and dumped the rock into fresh water. Hopefully the coral will survive, only a little flesh tore off the bottom.

I called the store to let them know, and they didn't seem to care!! All they said was "some fish will eat those", they didn't seem to realize what those fun little things can do to a tank.

Arrrgghhhhh!

WarrenG
06/29/2003, 07:58 PM
I was there yesterday and was not impressed. Very limited selection of coral and fish. "O Street" in Sac had many more corals at slightly better prices including several nice gonipora for $30. Capitol had decent corals and lots of fish at higher prices.

-Warren

thedude
06/29/2003, 11:36 PM
You'll find most of us don't care for Capitol Aquarium, personel and prices. O Street is good, but things seem to fluctuate there. I heard that either a new owner or the original owners are back and things are supposedly improving.

As for Aquaworld, they don't have the biggest selection, but the corals that were in there on Sat. were very nice. Their tanks are kept very clean and the fish do seem healthy. The coral tanks are well lit and have coralline growing pretty well.

WarrenG
06/29/2003, 11:44 PM
I hadn't been in O Street in a couple years. The owner said she began leasing the store to somebody about 2 years ago and they really made a mess of things, but now they're gone and she has reclaimed the store.

yessongs
07/01/2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by WarrenG
I was there yesterday and was not impressed. Very limited selection of coral and fish. "O Street" in Sac had many more corals at slightly better prices including several nice gonipora for $30. Capitol had decent corals and lots of fish at higher prices.

-Warren gonipora will die a slow death in an aquarium, $30. to watch somthing die within 6 months is not worth the money!

cal3v
07/01/2003, 04:25 PM
More often than not they die but many have success stories including a few fellow reefers I know.

yessongs
07/01/2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by cal3v
More often than not they die but many have success stories including a few fellow reefers I know. cal, not to doubt you in any way but im interested in knowing how long these reefers you know have had goni's and are they showing signs of growth i had one for 11months, my understanding is they live in poor water quality which most corals we try to keep like LPS, SPS will not survive.
thanks

WarrenG
07/01/2003, 08:26 PM
The ones I've seen growing in Fiji were in turbid water in shallow lagoons with plenty of microalgae on the rocks and there weren't many hard corals in that water, except some really nice blue acro-looking stuff that was big enough to fill a 55gallon tank (!).

yessongs
07/01/2003, 09:25 PM
warren, they like turbid water, have you had any luck keeping gonipora? i love them but never had any luck keeping them alive more then 11 months, since i set up my current tank i have not tried too keep them a little over 1.5 yrs. i did a lot of reading on them over the years with the same results not long lived in an aquarium:confused: :confused:

cal3v
07/01/2003, 10:37 PM
yessongs my friend had his for a couple years before he took his tank down, it definitely grew and even ahd clowns host in it and didn't whither or die. I also know of a reefer in florida that has clowns hosting in his gonipora and he has had it for at least a couple years as well I believe. They do like nutrient rich water as well as having good lighting, and a slow to moderate flow. The red goniporas also appear quite hardy compared to the normal types. Another way to help with survival is to get sprouts off somebody's colony, these will be much hardier since they have grown in the tank conditions.

WarrenG
07/01/2003, 10:39 PM
Haven't tried in years, but based on what I saw in the wild a few years ago I expect it would like baby brine shrimp or something around that size, just a little water movement, maybe slightly higher salinity, a temp of 80-84, and light near 6000-8000K that wasn't too bright. FWIW, I see alot of Humu humu triggers in the same kind of water.

yessongs
07/01/2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by cal3v
yessongs my friend had his for a couple years before he took his tank down, it definitely grew and even ahd clowns host in it and didn't whither or die. I also know of a reefer in florida that has clowns hosting in his gonipora and he has had it for at least a couple years as well I believe. They do like nutrient rich water as well as having good lighting, and a slow to moderate flow. The red goniporas also appear quite hardy compared to the normal types. Another way to help with survival is to get sprouts off somebody's colony, these will be much hardier since they have grown in the tank conditions. thanks cal so there is hope, i might try it again in the future!

cal3v
07/02/2003, 12:11 AM
Glad to give you some hope, its definitely possible and imo if well thought out and if you get a captive propagated specimen, the chances are very good. I just haven't gotten one because my current tank is too small and the flow too strong. They're beautiful corals.

tfp
07/02/2003, 01:06 PM
hi warren,
how are them gsp rocks working out for ya?

tim

WarrenG
07/02/2003, 06:17 PM
Hi Tim-

They're doing very well, thanks. I need to find them so more friends-frogspawn or hammer coral I think.