PDA

View Full Version : Meeting days and times

Justjoe
06/25/2003, 07:39 AM
Hello all,
I'd like to open a discussion regarding the meeting days and times.
Personally, I'm finding it more difficult to use up what is essentially an entire weekend day for the meetings. With the starting time at 3pm and allowing travel time, basically the entire day is shot.
I think the meeting location is great for most folks with regard to travel time, etc and I couldn't thank Les more for allowing us to use his place, but as we re evaluate the club and continue to evolve, I think some attention should be given to our meeting schedule before we just go ahead and set a calendar years worth of meetings.
To toss one idea out there, what about meetings that were in the evenings and at a time that would allow folks time to get there after work? It seems some folks work weekends and can't even get to the meetings. From a family standpoint, it is easier to get "clearance" for an evening event then a weekend day, especially when the deck isn't completed yet and the grass is knee high...
I look forward to your comments.
Joe

ronp
06/25/2003, 08:11 AM
I agree; a weeknight would be so much better for me. I already missed one of the last three meetings due to 'Weekend Obligations' and probably would not have been able to come to the last one if it wasn't raining. I guess one of the factors to consider, though, is the availability of the dance studio during the week. If the consensus is to keep it on a Sat, I will try to make as many meetings as possible since I think the club is great and worth the time. But when our newly elected (uh, chosen?, siezed the reigns of power? ;) ) president objects to the meeting time, maybe we should seriously consider changing it. Well, that's my two cents worth.

Evergreen
06/25/2003, 08:17 AM
Agree 100%
This is prime "Kiddie party" time. Although perhaps the studio is in use during weekday eves?

Easily Distracted
06/25/2003, 08:50 AM
I agree as long as our host is not inconvenienced.

Justjoe
06/25/2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by ronp
I agree; a weeknight would be so much better for me. I already missed one of the last three meetings due to 'Weekend Obligations' and probably would not have been able to come to the last one if it wasn't raining. I guess one of the factors to consider, though, is the availability of the dance studio during the week. If the consensus is to keep it on a Sat, I will try to make as many meetings as possible since I think the club is great and worth the time. But when our newly elected (uh, chosen?, siezed the reigns of power? ;) ) president objects to the meeting time, maybe we should seriously consider changing it. Well, that's my two cents worth.

Ok, thats it then... we ARE changing the meeting times TO the times I WANT and thats final!!:D

As with almost everything in my life, I constantly re-evaluate and try to make what may be improvements, with an emphasis on "may be"... Of course the availability of the dance studio (both times and days) has to be factored into the equation.
I think it is certainly worth discussing as other topics may result from it that will take the club to the next level.
Joe

fishome25
06/25/2003, 10:39 AM
hopefully not tuesday nites :D

billsreef
06/25/2003, 11:14 AM
Since I haven't quit the day job...yet ;) Weekdays and weekends have no difference to me, the hazards of working brick and mortar retail. The biggest thing to me is a steady day and time I can plan around with enough advanced notice to the boss types :D

mespo12
06/26/2003, 08:58 AM
Hi All,

Unfortunately, I think that any time slot we choose will undoubtedly create a conflict for at least some of our members. This will probably leave the board with the difficult task of trying to accomodate the majority only.

Personally, I tend to have more autonomy with regard to scheduling than most people. So, I could probably make most weeknight meetings. However, I suspect that many of our members may not enjoy this luxury. I will check with Les to see if he can accomodate our needs during a week night. But before we make a decision, I ask the group to consider the following points with regard to weeknight meetings:

Events that take place after work during the week tend to conflict with professional commitments. The results is we may see a drop off in attendance.

Many of our members work or live in the city and will be required to commute to Suffolk County during the height of Rush "hour". As we know, peak time on the LIE (and other major roadways)generally runs from about 4-7

Some of the members that have already signed up actually live in Manhattan and New Jersey. This revised schedule could create more of a burden for them than others. Yes, I know its the LIRA, but I am really impressed that we were able to draw interest and attendance from hobbyist that were not located near by and would like to encourage this in the future as well.

On the plus side, it may be easier to get speakers to join us if the meeting took place during the week as opposed to a weekend afternoon. I spoke to someone at Red Sea a while back and he actually mentioned this to me.

What ever we decide to do, I think we must make the meeting time slots consistant so people can make their plans around the meetings.

Let me know what you think. In the meantime, I will get some feedback from Les.

Mike

pyro383
06/26/2003, 09:47 AM
Odd month = weekday mtgs
Even month = weekend mtgs

2,6,10 months can be on sat
4,8,12 months on sun

just a thought

Justjoe
06/26/2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by mespo12
Hi All,
Events that take place after work during the week tend to conflict with professional commitments. The results is we may see a drop off in attendance.
Many of our members work or live in the city and will be required to commute to Suffolk County during the height of Rush "hour". As we know, peak time on the LIE (and other major roadways)generally runs from about 4-7
What ever we decide to do, I think we must make the meeting time slots consistant so people can make their plans around the meetings.
Mike

With the general commute being eastbound at night, especially beach traffic heading to the Hamptons, etc on Friday nites, I would instantly eliminate Friday evening as a meeting night during the summer. I just don't think the weekend day thing is going to work out over time, and yes a lot does depend on the availability of when Les' place, but other options could be explored with regard to meeting places if necessary.
Is anyone else in contact with other clubs to see when they meet and why they chose those days/times?
Joe

Easily Distracted
06/26/2003, 10:55 AM
Another suggestion: Sat evening meetings -gather at Fishy inc. and go over to the studio when it closes. Have bonus meetings for speakers/vendors during the week according to the speaker's/vendor's schedule. My 2 cents.

JohnL
06/26/2003, 02:43 PM
I like the the Saturday afternoon meetings. Trying to make it from Manhattan on a week night would be tough for me.

Lstrongheart
06/26/2003, 07:39 PM
Hi all, in response to the subject of meeting days and times, I certainly understand that it would probably be easier for some members to make evening meetings, however the availability of the studio is determined by when we are not using it for dance lessons. Since the bulk of our business is conducted weekday evenings including Friday nights which happens to be our busiest, it would not be feasible to use it for our meetings. The best alternative that I would be able to offer would be Sat. mornings.
While I understand the concern of some members over meetings conducted on Saturday, I do feel that the plus of conducting them on Saturday makes for a more relaxed atmosphere, Im sure a lot of us who are also members of BAS can share horror stories about ,Friday evenings stuck in traffic on the SS parkway and the Belt trying to get in to see some of our favorite speakers....Les

billsreef
06/26/2003, 08:39 PM

This indeed is the biggest consideration in my mind. Trying to rember alternating months and such would just get too confusing. With a consistant schedule it shouldn't be too hard for most of us to schedule meetings into our personal lives. They'll always be meetins that get missed due to personal reasons no matter what day or time.

Friday nights seems to be a popular night for most clubs, though I don't know why. Like Joe mentions, friday night traffic on this island can be a bear during the summer season, which seems to last May to October these days :( Ah yes, getting stuck on the belt heading to and from the BAS, that is a scary thought.

The best alternative that I would be able to offer would be Sat. mornings.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I don't do mornings if it can be helped :D Like the afternoon time slot better ;) Even after hanging out at Less's place after, still most of us can be home at decent hour for dinner without getting our families upset...depending on much livestock we walk in the door with :eek2: ;)

Since kids seem to part of the problem for some, perhaps a somewhat organized "kiddie corner" might be good. Some nice quiet coloring and such might be good. Maybe someone has a teenager or a non-reefing spouse that might be subject to bribery to watch the kiddies and keep them in control ;)

SWW1268
06/26/2003, 11:18 PM
Saturdays at 2:00 works best for me. I don't like meetings at night because of the long commute and I'd like to be home for dinner. I also agreed that consistency is important because it'll help me schedule my time. If we want to alternate between Saturdays and Sundays, that's OK too as long as the schedule is published ahead of time.

JB NY
06/27/2003, 09:27 AM
I like the weekend meeting at 2PM too. Saturday is better than Sunday.

Weekdays I'd rather not do, only because there is less time to hangaround and BS afterwards.

Fridays I'd rather not to at all.

Vinny Kreyling
06/27/2003, 06:04 PM
I for one stick to a Friday night meeting of LIAS because it is much easier to bring in a speaker(cheaper too if they stay Sat. night).
We are not there yet. THE MOST DIFFICULT THING TO FIND IS A MEETING PLACE. I know from experience. Think long and hard about this guys. My 2 cents. Vinny

onegreenray
07/01/2003, 11:45 AM
i would be able to make a meeting if it wasn't on saturday after noons. the usps is not great on giving saturdays off. i vote for sunday after noons if it is possible with the dance studio. i don't know this is my two cents.

Reefist
07/01/2003, 09:25 PM
Sunday is the only day I can make it and even that is hard.
Tom