PDA

View Full Version : x-terminator mantis trap?

Bender
04/15/2001, 10:07 AM
I posted this on the general discussion board but figured I should try here. Do these traps work? Have you heard of anyone having success with them? I finally saw my resident mantis shrimp last night. I would like to set up an eclipse 6 gallon for it. If I do catch him, will 5 or so pounds of live rock with a deep sand bed be ok for it? Will this provide enough filtrationor should I use it in conjunction with the supplied bio-wheel? Oh yea, the shrimp is at least 2 inches or so in length and very cool looking. I am not sure exactly which rock he is in but it is on the bottom of my reef tank so tearing it all apart is what im trying to avoid. Thank you for any help.
Aaron

moviegeek
04/15/2001, 11:37 AM
I don't have any experience using this or any other trap to catch mantis shrimp. But I've noticed from other posts that generally the mantis is one of the last critters to get caught. Shrimp, crabs, and brittle stars all seem to get caught first, since they are attracted by the bait as well. So before you purchase this item make sure you have a place to safely keep your other critters. Seems like the trap would work eventually, but might take a couple of weeks and require some diligence on your part.

Keep us updated -- I'm not sure anyone here has ever used one of these traps.

Bender
04/15/2001, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the reply Moviegeek. Since the trap is only 13 bucks or so it is worth not having to tear my tank apart. The shrimp has been there a year already so I have time to catch him. I'll keep you posted.
Aaron

moviegeek
04/16/2001, 05:26 PM
The Eclipse 6 should be of adequate size for a two inch mantis. I would recommend using one pound per gallon of FULLY CURED live rock and a deep sand bed with no biowheel. Most species of mantis really like to burrow and dig so use a few inches of sand at least.

I'm assuming that because you have a reef tank already you know what fully cured live rock is, looks like, smells like. If there is any doubt in your mind at all whether or not the rock you plan to use is fully cured I would set the tank up a month ahead of time and let the rock sit. Do a large (50% at least) water change after a month and then add the mantis.

Once you get the trap you might want to not feed your tank for a couple of days before attempting to catch the mantis.

Good luck!

Guy
04/21/2001, 11:37 AM
This trap has worked well for me. The list includes 2 mantis, a dozen hairy crabs, dozens of nassarius snails (probably the same one 30 times ;) and a serpent star.

[Edited by Guy on 04-23-2001 at 08:22 AM]

moviegeek
04/22/2001, 12:40 AM
Glad to hear it worked. Thanks for taking the time to update the results during your previous post. Good to know.

Bender
04/23/2001, 08:46 PM
Guy, thanks for the reply it makes me feel much better as my trap should be here tomorrow. What did you bait your trp with to lure the mantis into it?
Aaron

Guy
04/24/2001, 08:17 AM
I bait the trap with a piece of frozen silverside.

cwa46
04/26/2001, 12:46 PM
Guy,
Do you weight it? Mine keeps blowing around and even turns over. I am trying to catch a Sally Lightfoot. So far no luck.

Guy
04/26/2001, 06:06 PM
Absolutely! I place it where I want it and then put a big rock on it. Makes it more homey for the critters too ;) HEHEHE