PDA

View Full Version : Yellow zoanthids

scidiver
06/21/2003, 10:18 PM
I found these Zoanthids Two months ago, in 60 feet of water off the North Florida coast, commensal with what I think is an Axinella sponge. Both are being identified at the Lab I collect for. Just thought I would see if anyone has any like these.
These pics are of the ones I have in my tanks at home. "Always fun to find something different".

www.geocities.com/scidiver01/photos/zoocopy1.jpg www.geocities.com/scidiver01/photos/zoocopy3.jpg

scidiver
06/21/2003, 10:27 PM
Well I'll try these pics again. hope it works this time

scidiver
06/21/2003, 10:29 PM
Having trouble posting the pics here is the other pic.

liv4speed1
06/21/2003, 11:12 PM
wow, things looking freaking sweet

Which side did you get those off of? Atlantic or Gulf? If I could only find something that looks that cool :D

scidiver
06/21/2003, 11:20 PM
They are from thr Gulf side. This is only the second time in ten years of collecting that I have seen them. So this time I thought I would try some in my tanks.

lebowski
06/22/2003, 08:09 PM
Ooo!! Those things are pretty cool. Not sure of the species name, or the name of it period. I'm sure they are zoanthids, but the name isn't coming to me.

Nice find. Those things are sweet.

holeinone1972
06/22/2003, 10:32 PM
Looks like EPIZOANTUS to me. I think they are predatory, not sure if they are photosynthetic at all.

Rob

saltaddict
06/23/2003, 02:00 PM
Looks a lot like the red ones that have been popping up lately. The red ones are predatory and non photosynthetic. Let us know how they do........SA

scidiver
06/23/2003, 10:58 PM
In my area of the gulf we have only 7 recorded zoanthids that I can find record to. 5 parazoanthus and 2 Epizoanthus.

Epizoanthus cutressi and Epizoanthus sp (Cro & Rei) are listed for my collection area. coenchyme and tentacle color should be yellow but they are described as having only up to 12 mesentaries and tentacles. The colony also should be embedded in the sponge.

Parazoanthus swiftii seems a good match, coenchyme color listed as yellow - orange and tentacle color as yellow. The pics may not show it well but each polyp has an orange center. They are described as having up to 26 mesentaries and tentacles.The colony for these should be bandlike or sheetlike, and when the polyps close they are.

Both Epizoanthus are described as having zooxanthellae but Parazoanthus swiftii is not. I do not know if they are predatory but Parazoanthus swiftii is described as not having nematocysts where as both Epizoanthus are.

I am in now way an expert on zoanthids these are just my thoughts on this specimen and all of your input is greatly appreciated. I should get the results back shortly on what Genus and Species they are and will post the outcome for those interested.

I would like to say I have found this forum very helpful in gaining a greater understanding of many of the specimens I work with. As you can see I don't post often but I read with great interest alot of the information on Reef Central.

Thank you all

max101101
06/23/2003, 11:11 PM
Are those really zooanthids? It just looks like a polyped out gorgonian of some sort. can you take a few off of that stalk or are they part of it?
Interesting either way...

scidiver
06/23/2003, 11:54 PM
Yes they are zoanthids and they are on a sponge.

I am looking into if they can be removed and grown on other substrate or if they are a colonial symbiont of this sponge, but I need a proper ID first in order to fully undrestand their biology in order to expect some degree of success.

I have only three colonies to work with and as they are very uncommon in my area plan to be very careful with them.

musicsmaker
06/24/2003, 11:13 AM
There is no factual basis for this. But, if you are going to try and grow them, try one of your cuttings on a piece of rope. SUPPOSEDLY, the red epizoantids are being grown this way. I think I read about that on the GARF site.