PDA

View Full Version : how do you glue mushrooms and keep them from falling off?

Aaron1100us
06/21/2003, 01:45 PM
These two cool new mushrooms I got keep falling off the rock I glue them to and end up hidden in my tank. One was still on the rock as of this morning but the other one (the better of the two) is no where to be seen. I've glued them three times now. I take the LR out and pat it dry with a paper towel, then I put the mushroom on a paper towel and pat the bottom dry, put a little super glue gel on each, let it set for about 30 seconds, put the mushroom on the rock, let it dry for a couple of minutes and put the rock back in the tank. A while later, they just come off so I take them out and do it again. Each time, the mushrooms get all slimmy on the bottom and I have to wipe it off for the glue to stick. How do you keep yours from slimming up and not sticking? I hope the one that I lost in the LR won't die and the one that was still on the rock wasn't looking so great this morning. Can mushrooms survive in areas of the tank where there is very limited light? Thanks.

Alberio
06/21/2003, 03:07 PM
Mushrooms just slime the glue right off.

Go to the fabric store. Get some bridal veil. Wrap that around your rock (put the mushrooms on first).

mjd

Aaron1100us
06/21/2003, 03:15 PM
cool, thanks for the reply. Do you know about how long it takes for them to attach?

minh_han
06/21/2003, 08:23 PM
mushrooms can take a couple of days to several weeks to attach. Mine did the same thing when I tried the super glue. Actually, the one that I did manage to superglue (used a ton of it) to a rock never has looked all that good. The ones I attached with the netting method have all done better. My ricordia have the same problem. It took my orange ricordia two weeks to attach and now look great.

fahz
06/23/2003, 05:20 AM
Loose mushrooms have to sit on the sand or other substrate for a while and get it attached to there foot to be superglued. Then you gluing the substrate with the mushroom to the rock.

A word of caution put the bridal vail on a little loose. If its to constricting the mushroom will melt away.

Fahz

Aaron1100us
06/23/2003, 06:12 AM
Cool, thanks. I'll have to do it that way.

Mariner
06/23/2003, 06:30 AM
I just used the bridal veil method to attach a ricordia. It worked great. Took about a week.
Actually, my "bridal veil" was the mesh I cut out of the back of on old baseball cap :D . Probably any mesh or net material would work. I believe I've heard of folks using the mesh bags that oranges come in.
BTW, I held the mesh on the rock with a rubberband -- left it loose enough so it wasn't squishing the shroom, but restricted it from going anywhere.
HTH
Mariner

john76
06/24/2003, 01:25 PM
I've done this seven times so far:

I have a small Lee's specimen box that I've drilled holes in. I place a small peice of rock rubble in the box and hang the box in the my main tank. I then gently place the shroom on top of the rock. After about two days the shroom is attached. The flow in the box isn't enough to move the shroom around so it attaches wherever I place it.

*disclaimer* So far I've only done this with entire shrooms that I've peeled off of other rocks, not from cuttings.:rollface:

Aaron1100us
06/24/2003, 01:56 PM
That is a cool idea.

seahorsie
06/25/2003, 11:07 AM
I have crushed coral as my base. I lay the MR on it and in a day or two they grab a piece. I then take and glue the piece to my rock and leave it alone for a week. MR attaches to rock itself.

Since my tank has slow water movement I can usually just place them on the rock and wait.

I vacation in Florida and bring home lots of shells, scallops are the best. I just put the scallop upside down and place the MR inside and wait, then I glue the scallop shell to the rock, it makes for a unique rock, plus the underside of the shell has beautiful colors.

Stormbringer22
06/28/2003, 02:57 AM
I've lost 3 loose shrooms in the middle of the rock work at the crushed coral level, so, do they die or find a comfy spot out of reach? I've yet to see them come out, as some folks have reported they will do.

fahz
06/28/2003, 09:22 AM
If they reappear catch them right now and put them someplace with no current or vail them to a rock. Sometimes they will float back out but most of the time they lodge where you can no longer enjoy them or disappear forever. Thats my luck anyway sometimes they slide down the rock work relocating and leaving a trail of babies. I have a nice lavender thats moving around now but its next step is to fall off.

Fahz