PDA

View Full Version : 13w on a 2-3g tank, 125gph flow, what'dya think?

Newreeflady
06/20/2003, 09:41 PM
I have too many zoos in my 10g tank, i'm thinking of setting up a tank for this jalli light fixture I have, and transferring all zoos into the tank. The fixture is 13w, I think the largest tank I can probly get away with is like 3g, but it also has to be like 11" long to fit the light.

What do you think about this setup?

thx!
Angela.

mnreefman
06/20/2003, 09:46 PM
imo anyway you can get a higher watage bulb. if not it should work

Newreeflady
06/24/2003, 08:18 PM
Ok, I found the perfect tank, 2.5g aga. I am putting a Penguin 125 hob filter on it (it is a little weaker than 125g as it is old, so i'm hoping it won't be too much).. And the 13w Jalli lamp. I'm not sure if the light will keep up the heat, maybe I should find a heater? Setting it up this wknd with a little new sand and a little old sand, and will use mostly old water from my 10g tank... i'll probably toss some zoos in right away and see how they do.

13w is more wpg than my 36w over my 10g tank, so I think all will be good. I'm kinda concerned about aquascaping the zoos, I figure i'll glue them to dry rock.. I have about 10 colors or more, so i've gotta find room for all to grow out. It'll be a fun project, tho. :)

suggestions or pix of your similar setup are most welcome. I'll keep you all updated as progress takes place:)

Thanks.
Angela.

minh_han
06/24/2003, 09:28 PM
That sounds super Angela. You'll have quite a collection and will have tons to trade in the future.

Newreeflady
06/25/2003, 05:13 PM
yeah. I was thinking of not doing it, i'm not sure if it'll be too monotonous or not. Maybe i'll give it a try, and it it turns out too dull then i'll vary it a bit. I have green, red, blue, light neon green, orange centered green rimmed, orange rimmed yellow centered, and some others that I can't think of. I've got quite a few types, so maybe it'll be cool. I'm so used to my 10g which is a buncha different stuff. If I move the zoos out i'll have more space in there, tho, so that'll be nice, too.

Any other suggests/comments are welcome. Thanks for the encouragement!

Angela.

jdmturtleracin
07/02/2003, 11:27 PM
hi angela

this is francis from beverly's pet center that sold ya the 2.5 ... just wanted to make sure that the tank is coming along nicely!! you gonna have to bring some pictures of it in when u are finished with it...have fun and good luck

frankie

flamehawkfish
07/07/2003, 01:59 PM
Hi, Angela.

If you already have a 10g mini-reef, you know that you'll have to keep a very watchful eye on temperature, pH, and water quality. If one tiny parameter gets thrown off in a 3 gallon tank, you can wave good-bye to all your residents.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic. If you can pull off a 3 gallon reef, zoos are a good choice. I'd change about 1/2 gallon of water every week- if not more. Get some tiny powerheads to create some water current, as well.

It sounds like you have plenty of experience to take on this experiment. Keep us posted; I'm curious to know how it turns out.

flamehawk.

KorbinDallas
07/07/2003, 04:50 PM
I dunno man. I have a 3 gallon zoo holding/prop tank, and its the easiest tank I've ever kept. No hermits, no snails (theres a snail in this pic because I just threw him in the other day) Just a thin layer of sand, a few pieces of rubble rock, a sargassum and a bit of maro, a powerhead an 18 watt light. I have never even needed to scrape algae off the acrylic. (no food in = no algae out) I do intermittent water changes, up to 50%. The temp fluctuates between 70 and 85 degrees (no heater). The zoos aren't doing as well as they were in my main tank, but they're definitely growing. I mean, the tank is sitting on my bathroom floor. I do NOTHING and the zoos live. :rolleyes:
Newreeflady: I would suggest using 2x that light.

Newreeflady
07/08/2003, 06:32 PM
Hi all... well, the tank is going well. Zoos seem perfectly content in there. Temperature seems to stay pretty stable, no heater, light is on for about 10-11hrs/day, I evap about 6oz/day, and, other than the light appearing too blue for my tastes, all is fine. . I will probably go with a diff bulb next time around, if not sooner than that. I have not gotten the time to glue all the zoos yet, so many are still just sitting on the floor, but all are opening, and so i'll just get to it when I can (soon hopefully, things are hectic with school/work/life). I'm thinking of adding my green sinularia into the tank, just for some break in the zoos, there are so many.

No pix yet, I will certainly get some when I get a chance. I just moved to my new apt, digi cam still packed, computer not even set up yet.

Frankie, thanks again 4 ur help as always:) My xenia is recovering from the move, but when it is all perfect again, i'll bring ya a frag:)

Korbin, I can't fit anything else on this tank, lol! I'm running the penguin filter and the lamp, and there is about 1/2" in between them. If it doesn't work out with the light, i'll work something out later,... but, like I said, this is more light per gallon than on my 10g tank., so i'm hopeful all will be well.

Flamehawk, no problem with your pesimism. Guess when it comes to reefs I just feel like I play god (hahahahaha). Not to say that nothing can go wrong, certainly these things happen, but i'm topping off daily and have only added a tad bit of food to this tank for the hermit that is in it. Nothing to be concerned about. No algae has even thought about growing as of yet. :)

I'll keep you guys posted! .
Angela.

flamehawkfish
07/08/2003, 06:36 PM
Angela,

I'm pulling for you! I'm also eager to hear how it works out for ya'. The thought of whipping together a quick 3-5 gallon zoo tank for $100-$200 (or less) definitely sounds tempting!

I'll keep my eye out for your photo!

-flamehawk