PDA

View Full Version : need sump

imgrtful
06/20/2003, 03:22 PM
wtb sump
anyone have a sump they are wanting to get rid of?i have a 50g rubbermaid right now,but i'm getting a leak somewhere and am losing salinity.i need one for a 125g external overflow.2 1" lines coming from the overflow to the sump.please let me know either on this thread or by pm.thanks alot,
eric.
ps not looking to spend over $100

scubadude
06/20/2003, 09:24 PM
Hey Eric :)

Is this rubbermaid the thin ones (like 1/4" thickness) that bow when they are full? If so then the only way you will even have a chance at them not leaking is if you never have them more than half full becaus even if you silicone the leak they tend to flex and loose their seals. If it is a brute rubbermaid then these can be TOTALLY workable as sumps but still require some attention if they come with the bulkheads, but the bulkheads will generally leak 2 out of 3 times and require replacing with a better quality bulkhead. If you still run into a jam then let me know if you get the time to run down to my neck of the woods I have a 55g glass tank that I converted to a sump for my 220g and I would sell it to ya for 70bux. It has three baffles and one hole drilled at the bottom end for a 1.5" bulkhead for the pump. This sump/refugium will hold approximately 35-40g of water and the middle section is designed for a refugium.

Peace out bro

imgrtful
06/20/2003, 10:46 PM
thanks rocky,but i'm afraid a 55g would be too big.the tub is a 50g roughneck from target.it isnt drilled with a bulkhead.i have the 2 1" pipes 90 deg into top of tup going into 2 filter socks.i'm tearing out the sump tomorrow and seeing if that is where the leak is coming from.i have a stream going from the bottom of the stand into the garage.i'm lucky that the tank butts up to the wall against the garage.i looked up under the tank and did not see any signs of leak under the tank where it sits on the stand.i want to go to a glass or acrylic sump,since i'm thinking that something got too hot and weakend the plastic.i had a viaaqua 4900 as my return but now theres a mag 18 there now.they both sat directly on the bottom.also skimmer and pump that sit on the bottom.and a 300w heater that sits on 2 suction cups on the bottom.
eric

imgrtful
06/21/2003, 12:58 AM
i think i may have found the leak.i forgot about the float switch i installed in the sump.i just felt back there and it is wet where it goes into the tub.will know more tommorrow.