PDA

View Full Version : Progress with Calcium Reactor

BraveHeart
04/12/2001, 01:54 PM
Guys,

As many of you know, I've been struggling with the dial-in on my reactor ever since I set it up some four or five months ago. I'm still thinking I've got a long ways to go, but I seemed to have finally cleared a big hurdle.

I've been whining about low calcium readings (e.g. < 300 ppm ) ever since I fired the thing up and started testing regularly. Alkalinity seems to gradually slip, as well, but it's not too difficult to keep it between 8 and 10 dKH with monthly water changes and a spoon of buffer once in a while.

About a week ago, I made some adjustments after researching everything I could find on this board. I had been running about 50 bpm of CO2 and about 5 ml/min of effluent. Tests of the effluent showed a dKH content of nearly 55. And, when I last tried to test the effluent for calcium content, my SeaChem Ca test went nuts -- the solution turned to a milky blue color at around 250 ppm!

What did I change? Well, I cranked up the effluent flow rate to about 10 ml/min. All my research indicated that the effluent should come out at about 35 to 40 dKH, instead of 55. So, I must have been running too hot. I could have turned down the CO2 rate, but I was afraid that alkalinity in the tank would suffer.

I tested after last night's meeting and found that my tank alkalinity had fallen from 9 dKH to 8 dKH in a week's time. But, that sort of behavior has been pretty commonplace over the last several months. However, calcium had gone from 315 ppm to 375 ppm! I couldn't get the calcium that high when I was hammering the tank with liquid calcium chloride every day!

I didn't have time to test the new effluent dKH and Ca readings, but my guess is that they are more in line with what they should be. I'll post back when I get them checked.

So, what's been wrong? My guess is that the extremely high alkalinity content of the effluent was causing the calcium to precipitate out before it even hit the tank. Or, maybe it was precipitating out after it got into the tank. Any ideas?

Jim: you didn't say anything last night. How's your reactor doing?

Bryan

BraveHeart
04/20/2001, 02:10 PM
This week's readings:

Tank alk = 8.4 dKH (2.98 meq/L)
Tank ca = 395 ppm

Didn't touch the tank this last week 'cept to toss in a little food and clean the cup on the skimmer.

I like reefin' this way -- just sittin' in the easy chair, suckin' on a cold one, watchin' my corals smile. Life is good :D

Bryan

deucejimmo
04/20/2001, 08:05 PM
BRAVEHEART ,

I'M GLAD to hear things are finally coming around for you . I dont know what is up with my reactor for some reason it likes to fill up with co2 and stop working.I'm not sure why it doesnt just blow the co2 out the effluent line . currantly my tank has an alkalinity of 3.5Meq/L ,I havent checked calcium for a while,and a Phof 8.4 . the effluent has a Ph of 6.58 and an alkalinity of 7.5Meq/L. I don't know if this is good or bad.Any idea?

BraveHeart
04/21/2001, 12:00 AM
An effluent alkalinity of 7.5 meq/L translates into about 21 dKH. That's a little low based on most of the posts I've read. Most shoot for 35 to 40 dKH.

But your tank alkalinity of 3.5 meq/L is right in line. So, maybe you don't have too much to worry about. A calcium reading from your tank will yield another piece of the puzzle.

Of course, the accuracy of one's test kits and pH monitor could make a huge difference here. IMO, the best indicator is your corals. Are they happy? If so, best not get too excited. Especially if your tank measurements are consistent from week to week.

Sounds like your circulation loop plumbing is allowing an airlock to develop. You may have to re-engineer again. I know, I know -- you've alreay done it twice :(

Bryan