PDA

View Full Version : Who drills tanks in the area?

kaiyokanman28
06/19/2003, 02:19 PM
Could anyone point me in the right direction of a good reputable place that will drill tanks? I'm looking to go ahead and drill my new 46g AGA bowfront (Holes in the back for 1" bulkheads).

I thought I saw a thread around here someplace that actually mentioned one or two places, but I thought I'd try and get all the good places condensed into one thread.

Thank you!

Cheers!

Andy :wildone:

singularity
06/19/2003, 05:58 PM
I got mine drilled at "A Touch of Glass & Mirror" down off 31/Lake Street. Expensive, but he did a pretty decent job on my 75 gallon. (630) 801-1230

A friend of mine took his tank to another place (I want to say it was off of 64 near St. Charles). I will get the name of that place in the next few days when he gets back from vacation.

clamlvr
06/19/2003, 08:16 PM
Barrier Reef drills tanks, its a LFs here in chicago located at Archer and Long

kellypark
06/20/2003, 12:14 AM
Threre is another posting with same question on our CMAS forum.
And answer is there too.
By the way, they charge $5.00 per hole.

Good luck.

Merkur
06/20/2003, 08:36 AM
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=179146

this is the thread. they did a fantastic job on my tank.

kaiyokanman28
06/20/2003, 12:19 PM
Thatsa what I needed! :)

Thank you all! I'd still love to know the one that's off 64 near St. Charles...I grew up in St. Charles, and also happens to be where my tank is being stored at the moment (My folks' house).

Thanks again!

Cheers!

kellypark
06/20/2003, 12:36 PM
call them before you bring the tank to shop.
I did few places and price range was from $25 per hole to $5 per hole.
If you need more than 4, it is worth to call them.

makoshark
07/28/2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by singularity
I got mine drilled at "A Touch of Glass & Mirror" down off 31/Lake Street. Expensive, but he did a pretty decent job on my 75 gallon. (630) 801-1230

A friend of mine took his tank to another place (I want to say it was off of 64 near St. Charles). I will get the name of that place in the next few days when he gets back from vacation.

Just wondering if you ever found out the name of the place in St. Charles?

Thanks!

kaiyokanman28
07/28/2003, 02:27 PM
I never did hear back about that place either. Though it doesn't look like there's anything anymore in St. Charles (according to the Yellow Pages) that'll drill aquariums.

The only place that I've found locally is a Touch of Glass in Aurora and for $15 a hole. It's expensive, but considering I'd have to drive into Chicago to get it done any cheaper, I may just go with them.

I've been calling a lot of places, and they'll either not do it at all, or want me to take the pane out of the aquarium so they can put it on their machine and do it (Which certainly tells me they've not drilled aquariums before *shudders*)

Cheers!

makoshark
07/28/2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by kaiyokanman28
I never did hear back about that place either. Though it doesn't look like there's anything anymore in St. Charles (according to the Yellow Pages) that'll drill aquariums.

The only place that I've found locally is a Touch of Glass in Aurora and for $15 a hole. It's expensive, but considering I'd have to drive into Chicago to get it done any cheaper, I may just go with them.

I've been calling a lot of places, and they'll either not do it at all, or want me to take the pane out of the aquarium so they can put it on their machine and do it (Which certainly tells me they've not drilled aquariums before *shudders*)

Cheers!

Thanks Andy!

I'm not looking to take a ride into the city if I can help it either.

kaiyokanman28
07/30/2003, 08:31 AM
I took my tank to a place in Aurora, right downtown. I think it's called Glasshopper's (Forgot the name, just know where it is. :)) I walked in thinking it was A Touch of Glass. I guess the rivalry is pretty intense as when I asked them if they could tell me where AToG was, they said they'd rather not.

Anyway, I decided I would give them a shot. The cutter seemed to know what he was doing and had over 20 years experience cutting and drilling glass. I got the usual warnings that they couldn't guarantee the work, which I expected.

I pick the tank up on Thursday (Well, I get home after they close, so it'll be Friday morning). They're a bit pricey, though...$17 a hole. *winces as he needed to drill 4 holes*.

Though to offset that cost a little, the cutter is going to give me some scrap panes so I can make baffles for my 10g sump. That's pretty good news as far as I'm concerned.

Best of luck to me! :)

Cheers!