PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh-Yuma sick

Zepplin
06/19/2003, 01:52 AM
I have several ricordea, both florida and yuma, and many varieties of color. I've never had a sickness in any of my mushrooms before now. Usually if I'm tending to anyone's ailments it's the finicky SPS.

The illness seems isolated to one particular Yuma. He is bright green with pink highlights. He is extremely shriveled, no longer inflates as he once would. As well as the inflation cessation (hey that rhymes), there is another symptom.

He is looking very odd around his mouth. His white intestines are spewing out frequently, but he doesn't look to be disintegrating... yet.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm not used to mushroom sickness as I said. He is relatively isolated from other corals. The closest thing nearby is a purple sponge. He is living in a half-shade-half-sun location at the bottom of our 125 under the 400 watter. He is glued facing the glass. I fixed him this way to lessen the light intensity. There is medium water flow in this spot. I have never really fed my mushrooms, they've always done splendidly without feedings.

All other yumas are looking healthy, inflating normally, and are situated at the other end of the tank. Although, I did have a large orange yuma living in the same spot as this ailing mushroom for months. There is a blue florida nearby, he is fine. I just recently moved the orange yuma.

Our water parameters are perfect, all tested very recently. I really don't think this is an issue of water quality.

Any advice on treatment? Do you think he could recoup, or should I start accepting an inevitable death? Should I just leave him sit, or should I take matters into my own hands?

I have a frag tank, where the lighting and water flow are less intense-should I move him there to recoup? The frag tank and the main tank are on the same water system, so it wouldn't be a traumatic switch in that capacity.

What do you think guys?

Darren?

Bryan?

Anybody?

-Meg :confused: :sad: :confused:

NSR250sp
06/19/2003, 07:46 AM
they spit out some white stuff like what u said intestine when i 1st introduce my mushrooms into the tank after a 1 to 3min fresh water dip to rid of any flat worms from LSF ..

if this happens to be ur case:mad:

do keep me updated of that mushrooms okie ..

by the way any pic of it ? and which type and colour .

Bryan Thompson
06/19/2003, 09:02 AM
Meg,

I am not much of a pro on the Yuma illness. From what I hear, you should keep it away from the other yumas. Some people have been reporting an illness lately that is yuma specific only.

Try to sit in the chair next to the tank at night and watch it to see if something is going after it at night. Some times shrimp or crabs will pick at them.

Sorry I can't provide any good advice. Hopefully Darren will see this and can help. He is getting more into the yumas.

Bryan

PS. Did you take a look at my Stanley thread? You were my inspiration for getting him.

Zepplin
06/23/2003, 04:52 AM
Thank you for the help Bryan. The yuma seems about the same as when I first posted. I wonder if the yuma disease usually has rapid progression. Seem like my yuma is stagnating. He is still in the main tank, didn't move him.

Checked at night for a possible nuisance-no such luck, or at least the pest wouldn't come out while I was there. I really don't think we're dealing with a pest, though I could be wrong.

Stanley? No I didn't happen to catch the thread. Is Stanley a puffer? What forum?-I'd like to see.

I'll try for a pic this afternoon-finally got the camera back.

NSR250-You dip your mushrooms in freshwater for 3 minutes straight?

-Meg :)