PDA

View Full Version : overnight difference, wow!!

ladymagicka
06/18/2003, 10:38 PM
My tank looks so different overnight... we added a couple small pieces of rock and some damsels... my one piece of live rock that i've had for awhile suddenly has all this incredible new color on it.. literally overnight, 24 hours or so, so incredible...i thought it was dying turning white...nope...i guess the tank just needed a little boost or so...can't wait,, now it's getting more exciting..Everyone here at CARS - thanks so much for your encouragement and input...look forward to meeting you. ...Danielle

minh_han
06/19/2003, 02:38 PM
I'm waiting for my coralline algae to take off like yours did Danielle. I have heard that a higher calcium level is necessary. But I haven't seen it happen yet with dripping kalk. So, I might go to a B Ionic and see how it goes.

ladymagicka
06/19/2003, 02:45 PM
i'll try to figure out what supplements we may have added and i'll post it later :confused: just one of those things, beginners luck stuff:) actually friends help more than luck..hee hee

bdr127
06/19/2003, 03:33 PM
Minh: Are you testing for Ca and Alk? If not, the Salifert test kits are great. Try to get your Ca above 400 ppm and Alk above 10 DKh.

pncstod
06/19/2003, 03:49 PM
Glad to hear that ladymagicka!

Also we use B-Ionic and are very very happy w/our coralline growth.

Colleen

Dazed1
06/19/2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by minh_han
I'm waiting for my coralline algae to take off like yours did Danielle. I have heard that a higher calcium level is necessary. But I haven't seen it happen yet with dripping kalk. So, I might go to a B Ionic and see how it goes.

They say you should keep one piece of rock with corraline right in front of a power head. I did that with mine. Along with adding CA and ALK, i scraped corraline off the rock which was in front of the power head twice a day.
Someone also "donated" flakes of corraline. And within a matter of 2 week's i had corraline growing on my glass. Its everywhere now on the glass. Including the front at a few place's.
Whats more weird is that my FO tank , which i started with water from the reef, has corraline. That tank has NO LR, very litte LS, and no power head :eek: !!

I could give you a rock with corraline and see if i can scrape some off the glass and get it in a zip lock bag. :)

Also the Anthelia that you gave, is already all over that one rock !! I'm going to move it close to another one so that it spread's :D

minh_han
06/19/2003, 04:22 PM
Good information everyone. I do need to check my alk level. I do have a Hagen calcium kit, but I don't check it nearly often enough. Mayur, I'm glad to hear the anthelia has done so well. You'll soon have tons of stuff to trade. By the way, the lime green ricordia you gave me is looking quite nice. And I'd love to get some coralline covered rocks or scrapings to see if I can seed the tank.

ez1ez
06/22/2003, 01:09 PM
how does the tank look now with the new LR?

ladymagicka
06/22/2003, 07:15 PM
It looks like I have a reef tank well underway!!!! Thanks to you!!!:bounce1: :beer:

ladymagicka
06/22/2003, 08:39 PM
P.S. just seeing this tank now... i'm always going to have at least one tank going.. and can see my self with more as i settle into a house somewhere for the long haul..... but 'me and long haul ' seems incongruent.... kinda like 'happily married' :p of course it could happen i suppose...

ladymagicka
07/08/2003, 12:20 PM
wow, i only have one piece but..my xenia just doubled maybe tripled in size..:eek2:. this morn small partially closed... wondered what i can do for it...it's suppose to grow fast I heard.. but no changes here..... and a couple hours later.... talk about a growth spurt..,.. gets more exciting all the time.. will it always be that one piece,, or will it seed others i wonder...

bdr127
07/08/2003, 02:32 PM
Don't worry.... It'll spread. Like wildfire :p

ladymagicka
07/14/2003, 08:43 PM
wooooo hoooooo, water clearer than ever... now if I can just get the protein skimmer to keep working....:confused:

mig29
07/15/2003, 07:45 AM
Good morning reefers...

If the proliferation of coralline algae is initiated or encouraged by the addition of scrapings, I have plenty that I am willing to share. I have to scrape it off my glass on a weekly basis. If anyone would like some, I would be more than happy to bring a batch to the next meeting.

Len