PDA

View Full Version : can mushrooms change color instantly?

Aaron1100us
06/18/2003, 08:15 PM
Ok, this is wierd. Sorry I don't have a pic. I just bought two Blue mushrooms from the lfs, at $3 a piece might I add:) They were this really cool blue color at the lfs. I'm not sure what lights they were under, PC or VHO, didn't see but they weren't real bright. I have a 65w 50/50 pc and a 55w antinic pc on my 29. I glued the two mushrooms to a piece of lr and I just turned the lights back on and now they are this totally awsome red color, bright red even with little blue dots. How in the heck did this happen? I saw the guy bag the blue ones. I like the color they are now better than when I saw them at the lfs.

Aaron1100us
06/18/2003, 10:17 PM
rusty "bump" er :)

Aaron1100us
06/19/2003, 07:33 AM
bump

Bryan Thompson
06/19/2003, 01:04 PM
Well this is a new one for me. I have seen green turn to blue and blue to green and blue to brown and purple to blue but NEVER seen blue turn to red with blue dots.

This totally blows my mind.

Sorry I can't be any help on this one.

Bryan

SaltwaterSensei
06/20/2003, 06:38 PM
that is really crazy, I've never heard of that either. If you could post a pic that'd be cool to see these mystery mushrooms.

Aaron1100us
06/20/2003, 07:06 PM
I'll try to get a pic with my 35, don't have a digital. I'm wondering if it has something to do with what lights they were under at the lfs? I hope these mushrooms make it ok, I attempted for the first time glueing them on my own and they have fallen off several times and unded up upsidedown on the CC. One looks pretty good but I wiped black stuff off the other one when I glued them again just now and it is all closed up. I think they will stick this time atleast. Whatever lights they were under at the lfs made them look blue, not a real vivid blue but a soft blue. I think the tank was around 50-75 gallons and under some kind of florescent bulb that wasn't real bright, as in VHO bright. Maybe since I have more antinic light than 10k, it makes them look red? I don't know, I'm confused. As soon as they open up more, I'll try to get a picture. Has anyone else come across something like this? Kind make me want to buy the rock at the lfs with the rest of them on it and see what happens.

Aaron1100us
06/20/2003, 08:37 PM
I took some pictures today with my 35 and I'll bring them in tommorrow to get developed.

This is what they looked like at the lfs. Not exactly but this is close. they had a hint of blue in them and no red at all.

http://www.aquariumarts.com/bluespotmushroom.html

This is what they look like now.

http://www.aquariumarts.com/redmushroom.html

Red with blue bumps like in the site above.

But these are listed as red blue mushrooms although they look blue. I wonder if it could be them?

http://www.aquariumarts.com/redbluemushroom.html

I'll have to go back to the lfs and take a closer look at them.

I'll scan my picts as soon as I get my film back next week.

ReefCore
06/21/2003, 05:04 AM
i bought This blue mushroom at the lfs. came home and put them under my t5's and they became purple. identical colour to my crocea clam. not too bad i guess.

Proxymoron
06/25/2003, 07:16 PM
I have some electric blue mushrooms that when I first got them they were bright blue and they turned purple in my tank. Now I find that in the morning before lights are on and in the evening when lights start going off they turn back to bright blue, but remain purple with all lights on.

Dixie

Aaron1100us
06/25/2003, 08:12 PM
I think I figured out was the deal was. I went back to the lfs and all they were under was antinic lights, no wonder they looked blue.

Stormbringer22
06/28/2003, 02:42 AM
Ive got some purple Discosoma that turn blue, when photographed with a flash!

Stormbringer22
06/28/2003, 02:43 AM
With Flash...

jman785
06/28/2003, 10:54 AM
So what color are they really intended to be? :-) Guess we are all colorblind to this question :D

- Jared

rycin
07/08/2003, 02:09 AM
I've just managed to lay my hands on some blue & purple shrooms yesterday. I read somewhere that blue mushrooms are deep water shrooms. Lighting should therefore be subdue, else they would probably loose their blue colouration... Can anybody verify that ?

supernip
07/11/2003, 02:29 AM
Im not sure if this is the case but I think that some mushrooms lose their color because of not getting enough lights. I have those same mushrooms and that happened but i'm not too sure. A few retained their color though