PDA

View Full Version : MH Question

reelheel
06/18/2003, 04:53 PM
Thank you for your time, Mr. Calfo. After reading a recent thread in this forum, I have a question for you. I am planning lighting for a new 90g that I have just purchased. Until about 5 minutes ago, I was all but decided on getting 2x250 20K MH's for the tank, which is 24" deep without subtracting the DSB I plan to add which will be close to 6". FWIW, the 90 will have a 20g sump and a 15g refugium. I had NOT planned on an SPS/Clam specific tank. Instead, I was shooting for a "mixed" reef environment with LPS (mostly Euphyllia sp.), some soft corals (possibly Xeniids, leathers, etc.) and probably some Zoanthids. I would love to try my hand at keeping some SPS if I could (hence, the MH's), but I'm assuming after the above mentioned thread that I shouldn't mix these coral types. I guess I have several questions for you:

I have some flexibility with several tanks/lighting options other than the new 90g, so would I be better off making the 90g a tank specifically designed for corals w/ similar lighting requirements, and use the other setups to house any other various corals? Also, what lighting would you suggest for the 18" deep tank if I decided to keep only soft corals and lower-light LPS? And just out of curiosity, how would you light the same tank if it WAS an SPS/Clam specific tank? Sorry for the long post, just wanted to make sure I could give my inhabitants the best lighting for their health. I hope I've given you enough to go on. And BTW, I can't wait to meet you and the rest of the pros at MACNA XV...

Anthony Calfo
06/18/2003, 09:22 PM
Cheers, James

Indeed the "mixed garden reef" aquarium is more challenging, if not unnatural, in the long run. 'Tis really hard to reconcile LPS or corallimorphs collected at 60+ feet in an aquarium several inches away from other cnidarians like acroporas collected in less than 10 feet of water. Beyond any arguments of excessive stimulation of allelopathic compounds from the sensation of unnatural competition... there is the very real/common sense issue of trying to standardized ligting for animals found 50 or more feet apart, if even on the same reef! The difference is enormous too... mere single digit percentages of the radiance at the surface at say 25 meters depth.

So, yes.... indeed the tank will fare better with a more compatible grouping of animals with like needs for light and water flow.

Regarding the two 250 watt halides for a 90 gallon. No complaints from me here. The tank is getting deep enough (especially if corals will be kept in the lower third of the tank)... and the 20K lamps are very blue. Frankly... more blue than most any corals need... but very handsome lights and well suited for low to medium light corals.

I kept pink Montipora under a 4.5 year old 20K Radium which stayed pink from tip to trunk the entire time. Great bulbs! You certainly can keep many scleractinians and octocorals nicely under such lights. No worries... my advice is to perhaps stick with your original plan.

There really is a lot of room to move on the subject.

Bets regards,

Anthony