PDA

View Full Version : info for new mangrove........

Greatreefer
06/17/2003, 08:27 AM
Hey, I just orderderd two magrove plants online, what kinds of light do these guys like? also, I am planning on building a planter box inside my sump for the mangroves. How much sand would you need ? Information that I got online said that these plants only like 1.5"-2" of "mangrove mud" ............ Has anyone here been able to gorw mangroves?
thanks,

B.J.

jeff davis
06/17/2003, 10:27 PM
Mangroves are very slow growers. They prefer 6500k or less. Mud is not essential. They can grow from hanging in syrofoam or planted. Just make sure they recieve plenty of magnesuim 1300ppm and maybe an iron supplement. They are awesome trees if they look like they are dead leave them be, they will return. All of my leaves turned brown and fell off. On another note they will thrive in a humid setting.

Greatreefer
06/18/2003, 12:00 AM
what kind of suplements do you use?

jeff davis
06/18/2003, 08:56 PM
I only use 2 different supplements.1)iron and manganese 2)magnesium. Both by Kent.
I wish they would hurry up and grow, the roots can make a stunning display! Not sure what else i can do to help these trees grow better? Julian Sprung created a 4pager on these trees, its located off www.twolittlefishes.com page. good luck keep us informed

Greatreefer
06/19/2003, 12:52 AM
now, with Mangroves; are the roots the only thing that should be submerged in wateror, can the water touch the trunk. If the water comes in contact with the trunk will the Mangrove die?
As far as Fertilizer goes, won't Iron hurt the corals and other inverts in the aquarium?

Greatreefer
06/21/2003, 08:24 AM
Here are some picts of my new Mangrove plants. I'm wondering if I have the water level is to high for them?, or if I should raise them up a little bit.

thanks,

B.J.

Gogeta
07/04/2003, 02:24 AM
Is there anyway to stunt the grow of mangroves? I know that this sounds like the opposite of what you would want to do, but I would like to keep them in there own aquarium that would have a hood on top. That is the only way that my mom will let me do it.

Greatreefer
07/04/2003, 10:26 AM
I think you could treat it like a Bonsai tree and Trim it back. This should stunt the growth of the mangrove so, you could keep it in your aquarium.

How long have you had yours?

marineaquariums
07/04/2003, 11:14 AM
i been growing mangroves for years living here in florida they are very hardy. and grow in my back yard
i grow them in a course arognite and they do great roots dont have to be in the sand but they will do better
also there is no problem having the stalk in the water i have some with the leaves just coming out of the water,, and all 8 inchs of the stalk is in the water
i use dose iodine and iron 24/7 0.2ml/hr

marineaquariums
07/04/2003, 11:32 AM
i wouldnt cut the mangrove it will take months to make new shoots if they even will
remember they love the hot sun so if they dont get enought light they will just grow tall with leaves haveing about 3 inchs of stalk between them.
in the wild they are very dence trees

Greatreefer
07/04/2003, 02:55 PM
I think mine are doomed.... Because al the leaves fell off. When you say bright light would 2x 40watt bulbsd work okay. I have my mangroves rubberbanded to the outake pipes of my skimmer.

marineaquariums
07/05/2003, 10:58 AM
well it enough to keep them alive but they wont grow fast at all
with that kind of light they need to be 3 to 4 inchs close to the light
if the leaves have fell off
they are dieing

Greatreefer
07/06/2003, 09:29 AM
what types of light do you use for your mangroves?

marineaquariums
07/06/2003, 09:54 AM
power compacts 3 55s
1 55k 10hr
1 65k 10hr
1 72k 24hr

marineaquariums
07/06/2003, 09:57 AM
really they could use more light
but they do ok when they reach the light i just remove them and plant them on the shore line behind my house

Greatreefer
07/07/2003, 07:39 AM
can I see a picture of your tank?

marineaquariums
07/07/2003, 04:25 PM
sure thing
everything you see is mostly hand built by me except fot the oceanic 120 rr tank
i havent made the doors yet i keeping giving my wife the excuse i cant find the right router bit
so far its been working
also there is my dosing equipment and my wifes 15 gal
with a oranda goldfish

marineaquariums
07/07/2003, 04:26 PM
refugium

marineaquariums
07/07/2003, 04:28 PM
close up

marineaquariums
07/07/2003, 04:29 PM
Testing and dosing equipment

i have dosers availble if interested

Greatreefer
07/07/2003, 11:37 PM
Thats a REALLY NICE TANK!

how long has your tank been up for?
Also, this is a strange quesion but do you have problems with cyanobacteria and or Nitrate problems?

Greatreefer
07/07/2003, 11:45 PM
I know this is a little bit off the subject but,
what are the dementions of your sump and where are the intake/ outtake pipes positioned? that sump of yours look really cool!
(make me want to build one to)

thanks,

B.J.

:-)

marineaquariums
07/07/2003, 11:53 PM
it has been set up almost a year,,, just moved to Florida,, no I never had a problem with cyanobacteria and or Nitrate problems? I only keep 4 small fish and a few dwarf seahorse in the refugium, fish cause problems ,,,
try increase your flow ,, flow is very very important if you cant see your water and animals moving around you don't have enough water movement
I have 3000 in a 120

cyanobacteria will not do well with high water movement also make sure your making your own R.O-D.I water and not buying it from your pet store. They never change filters enough
for nitrate how long has tank been running I have a feeling you have to many fish or have lost to many fish in the tank
make sure you have a brittle star to make sure dead things get eaten
hope this helps

marineaquariums
07/07/2003, 11:56 PM
the sump is 36 " long 20 tall 20 wide
i built that as well huge ha
thats where my live sand, macro algea,, mangroves is ,and just all kinds of stuff
it is so lively in there

Greatreefer
07/08/2003, 12:11 AM
okay, heres my list of fish in my180 gallon tank:
1x sailfintang
1x Foxface
1x Green Chromis
1x Copperband butterfly
1x Lawnmower Blenny
1x Royal Gramma
1x Purple Pseudochromis

I do use an RO DI system when I change my wate in the tank.

The tank itself has been setup for about three years and has been doing awsome until now. I think it might be caused by the 6" DSP it must have somehow crashed.

and thus, what gets us back to the topic do you think that given the right conditions that mangroves along with macro algaes will help reduce the amount of nitrates in the tank along with waterchanges.

heres a picture of my tank and my sump. See what you think about it.

B.J.
:-)

marineaquariums
07/08/2003, 12:28 AM
well they do a good job its just they have to be growing and there before you have the nitrate problem
if you add them know thats ok but it will not lower your nirate levels
you will have to do that with water changes
also for a 180 i noticed a berlin skimmer i hate to tell you this but for a 180 reef you need a higher end skimmer
i built mine like the euro reef if not better. it dosent look like it but sucks the bubbles in the pump impeller no need for the neddle wheel works great
under 100 with pump
i have a alot of macro i throw away you want some
here is the skimmer in testeing stage

Greatreefer
07/08/2003, 12:33 AM
so, your thinking its a skimmer problem then?
Ya know a the weird thing is that before all of my macroalgaes died I had no Cyanobacteria. and now that its gone well, I have it now. heres a piture of the same tank before all this happend.

marineaquariums
07/08/2003, 09:59 AM
well i dont think it is a major problem but when your macro algea died a higher end skimmer would have removed the phosphates from the water. thats why you have the cyno i am guessing
the only macro i like is the feather macro
the grape macro always seems to die for some unkown reason,
one day healthy next day dead

i didnt see the pic

Greatreefer
07/08/2003, 12:09 PM
heres the picture again sorry I logged off when it was not finished ...........

here it is:-)

as far as calurpa goes YES I would love some send me an Email and Ill give you my address.
Greatreefer@hotmail.com