PDA

View Full Version : Temperature...

sireq
06/16/2003, 05:57 AM
Dr. Shimek,

I am a spanish enthusiast of reef aquariums so I first apologize for my language mistakes.

I find very interesting your article of this month in Reefkeeping.com about sand beds. I went on searching on the web about this topic and found in Aquarium Frontiers another article written by you on June of 1999, called "Muddy Waters (http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1999/june/features/1/default.asp)".
In that investigation you stated that:

Some of the other more interesting differences at this locality were that the sediments generally were capable of reducing nitrogen only in the summer. At the cooler temperatures found in the winter (75 to 78 degrees Fahrenheit), the anaerobic bacteria implicated in the nitrogen cycle were uncommon, whereas in the summer (80 to 82 degrees) such bacteria predominated.

... and I wonder if that temperatures were measured in the water column or deep in the sand?

I find very interesting that only 2 degrees farenheit make the diference between a healthy colony of bacteria and a DSB (Desert Sand Bed :D )

Thank you for your time and patience,
James.

P.D: I know Dr. Shimek is missing until august, so I would also accept answers of experienced people ;)