PDA

View Full Version : Dead refugium for Fathers day...

ez1ez
06/15/2003, 02:02 PM
I had some company for Fathers Day. I have a plug in flashlight that I use to look in my tanks at night. Well It sits next to the tank and one of the adults here saw it on the floor and placed it on the tank light, Not kids because the refugium sits on top of my reef tank 6ft. up, and it fell in. I hear my wife scream for me to come in. I saw the flashlight in and I quickly tripped the breaker. I was TOOOOO late, the water was 105 degrees and feather dusters, worms, snails, 2-cleaner shrimp 2-peppermint shrimp,1/2 my hermits were cooked. My macro's are fine. I placed them in the reef and am cleaning out the tank as I write this. It is starting to smell bad. the live sand is looking ok. but the rock has dead worms hanging from it. I will start it again when I move to my new house in july. Good news is my wife has given me the ok to spend whatever funds it takes to resart it at the new house. hmmm... MH,DSB,LR,Macros,Snails....... well hope everyone had a great fathers day.

Ryan92881
06/15/2003, 10:41 PM
Well 33 people have looked at this post so far and I am surprised no one has given you any sympathy. I just wanted to let you know it was sad reading your post and I hope you can recover quickly. Good Luck!

-Ryan

ez1ez
06/15/2003, 10:57 PM
Thanks, Come july it will be up and running again.

ladymagicka
06/15/2003, 11:01 PM
:sad1: :love1:

pncstod
06/15/2003, 11:18 PM
I think noone replied because they are speachless.

We are very sorry though, and hope the rest of your fathers day was better!

minh_han
06/15/2003, 11:38 PM
WEll, I just saw this post. Sorry to hear that Sam. Would it have helped if you had a GFCI?

mig29
06/16/2003, 06:03 AM
I know that I am very new to this board, but you had given me some advice on an earlier post.....so......I hope you don't mind a new guy expressing some sympathy. I would be devastated if I were in your shoes knowing how much time and effort goes into creating and maintaining a reef tank.

An optimist might say....now you have the opportunity to apply all the lessons you have learned when you set up your new tank. Assuming some truth to that, imagine how great your new tank will be! (Especially with the open checkbook.)

Sorry again, and good luck from here on.

Len

ez1ez
06/16/2003, 07:01 PM
Thanks again, Minh if I had a GFCI it would have tripped instead of acting like a heater. Which would have saved most of my tank. I will be installing many in my next setup. I cleaned all my rock and sand yesterday and placed it in my reef tank. DEAD ROCK AND SAND...uuuggghhhh....funny thing is I was worried about the kids not the adults.... thanks again..

minh_han
06/16/2003, 07:19 PM
I almost had the same problem, but with my sump under my display tank. I came home one day and found the pumps off. So, I switched the power back on, and it immediately shut off again. So, being the intelligent post doctorate graduate that I am, I did it again. Of course the GFCI, which Mike had just installed a few weeks ago, tripped yet again. Light bulb finally goes off in my head, and I unplug everything from the power strip. I then proceed to plug things in one at a time. When I get to the heater, it trips the whole set up. When I examined the heater that I had just placed into the sump the day before, it was shattered and glass was everywhere. Every time I was plugging the power strip back in, it was short circuiting. Well, if that GFCI was not in place, not only would the tank and equipment have been fried, when I put my hand in to find out what was going on, I would have been greeted with 20 amps of electricity. Not very conducive to one's health.

So, note to others, if you don't have a GFCI on ALL your outlets that plug into your tank, or anywhere else in the house that might contact water (like your bathroom for example), you run a serious health risk...like death. I would have to say that a GFCI is the single most important piece of equipment for your tank bar none. And thing is, it's totally cheap at Home Depot.

ez1ez
06/16/2003, 09:36 PM
Minh, you are 100% correct, I placed GFCI plugs around the kitchen, bathrooms, and kids rooms. But not in my den... the new place will have them everywhere. They are so easy to install only three wires. Black,White,Green...All it takes is A situation like Minh's to appreciate the outlets.