PDA

View Full Version : HPS Grw lights for fuge lighting?

SaltwaterSensei
06/15/2003, 09:15 AM
Could a HPS light, a light that would normally be used to grow non marine plants be used to grow macro algaes in a fuge set up?

I'm thinking something along the lines of this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2326804351&category=3186

billsreef
06/15/2003, 10:05 PM
It'll work like a charm. But if your fuge is enclosed under the tank you'll need to watch out for heat build up.

SaltwaterSensei
06/16/2003, 12:41 AM
thats great to hear!!!! (or read rather)

I'll have to add a few of those clip on fans to the sump to get the hot air out.....

lexusboy
06/16/2003, 12:15 PM
Could you post a picture of your 10 gallon fuge, I am having some trouble with mine so maybe a pic of yours will help.

SaltwaterSensei
06/16/2003, 02:22 PM
sure I'don't have a picture but I can take one tonight. Mine is simply a 10 gallon rubbermaid squaree tank that I dilled a hole in for a 3/4 " bulhead, it sits on top a stand that I made out of eggcrate and zip ties. Its power by a maxi jet 600. and is lighted by four 9 watt power compacts.

I'm thinking those power compacts aren't enough and thats why I may get that HPS system....

SaltwaterSensei
06/20/2003, 06:27 PM
I asked the seller what kelvin those 150 watt HPS lights are and He said they are around 2100 to 2500. Will that still grow marine algaes?

Plantbrain
06/20/2003, 09:39 PM
HPS's are fine to grow the plants/macro's, but I think size, mounting, light spread etc, the PC lights are hard to beat, www.ahsupply.com has cheap kits with excellent reflectors, easy as pie to add to any set up. Light weight and low heat, bulbs last for at least 2-4 years. I have some running that are over 5 years old.

Anyone that gets rid of the their old PC bulbs before they fry please send me yours! Corals I replace after two years, but macro's go till the bulb dies.

I've done the HPS, MV route. It's hokey, big, awkward, PITA in the long run.
It works. You can Homr Dpot it for about 1/ the cost and thy also hav those Lights of America 65w PC outdoor fixture with a 6500K bulb for about 30$ but the bulbs fry after a year or so.

If you shop around for the PC bulbs, 55watters can be had fairly cheap and the A&H kit is great.
For a sump under a tank, this is one of the best options.

Regards,
Tom Barr