PDA

View Full Version : "dish scrubby" macro ID

Frick-n-Frags
06/15/2003, 07:41 AM
Here's one that has me stumped, and since it is one of my main macros, it has been bugging me that I don't know what it is. I'll try to describe life with the dish scrubby and maybe someone can nail the ID for me. :D thanx

I have had this macro for a while. It is a good grower, and just like all the other macros I have, really invasive on the coral if you let it get away from you. It has never crashed in the time i have owned it, probably betwen one and two years now.

It loves flow. It grows in huge wads right in front of powerhead outlets. It has grown into softball sized wads before.

Depending upon which light it is growing in it can be dark purple(AB250w 10kK) to green(lower light flour areas) to bright yellow(really bright flour areas like frying 3" below a pair of LOA 65w worklamps :D). The pics show its average color. In the first pic, the greener piece on the left came out of the algae sump with the LOA's but off to the side. The piece on the right came off the side of the tank by a power head under brighter VHO actinic and LOA 65w PC lighting. It is more purple tinted and the leaves look like they grew in a jetstream. The range of these two pieces is the typical color range.

It feels just like a plastic dish scrubby, flexible but resilient like there is good pressue inside the leaves. It is fairly easy to tear since there are no large stalks.

So I can't even decide whether it is a red or green alga. Just at face value it seems more of a red alga, but it also seems to best fit the sketchy description I have for Cladophora, a green alga.

Frick-n-Frags
06/15/2003, 07:44 AM
here is another pic with my camera as zoomed in as possible. This is the piec on the left.

Boomer
06/17/2003, 03:50 PM
There are no Clads that grow like this and the color is way off. More than likely this is a Rosenvingea intricata, a brown algae. See your Littler, page 106. Also check pages 176 & 177, Hypnea. However, its tangled mass look, IMHO it is Rose.

Boomer
06/17/2003, 04:45 PM
I forgot to mention, 32 pages in the new Littler, with tax keys and images on Cyano:cool:

Frick-n-Frags
06/17/2003, 06:15 PM
Hey thanks. That does look like it more than anything else. I don't know why I just had it in my head that it was either green or red because of the coloring. It really gets deep reddish-purple under strong MH light and is more green than golden.

Rosenvingea is a nice sounding name. Sounds expensive when I go to sell some :D