PDA

View Full Version : my tank is leaking HELP please

davamy
06/15/2003, 05:22 AM
hi..my tank plumbing is leaking through the joints of the pvc pipes...just wanted to know what putty is the best to prevent it from leaking thanks guys:eek:

cali_reef
06/15/2003, 05:31 AM
If possible, replace the leaking PVC pieces with new ones and use extra glue. I had similar problem after removing my ampmaster for cleaning, on two 45’ 1.5 inch PVC fittings. I couldn’t replace them at the time; I just dried the area and used some clear silicon on the outside of the fitting to form an outer seal. It is still holding after about 6 weeks.

Good luck, I know how frustrating it is doing this at 3 am.

Jimbo327
06/20/2003, 05:19 PM
What is holding the joints now?

If it is threaded, then use some teflon tape, wrap the threads 3-4 times with the tape and screw it back in.

If it not threaded, you have two options:

1) Re-glue the connection (you might need to saw off the old joint and use new PVC parts). Use a PVC primer and PVC glue to connect the joints, let it dry completely. You don't want this stuff to leak into your tank.
2) If the leak is not too bad, stop the pump, and dry the joint. Then use a two-part epoxy at the joints. Let it dry.

Without much info, this is the best I can do.

Jim

jonbprime
06/20/2003, 05:22 PM
Had a similar problem. I just ran another bead of PVC cement around the joint and it has not leaked since.

-Jon

Konadog
06/20/2003, 08:15 PM
The only problem I see is being awake at 3:30am :o :eek1:

You can try the PVC cement but if the leak is to bad, it usually won't hold for very long. Try the silicone, or better, replace the leaky section.