PDA

View Full Version : Southdown sand in chicagoland

firemouth4416
06/14/2003, 06:07 PM
Seems to me that if you have that much silt in the water the easyiest way to get rid of it is to run a magnum filter or any canister filter with the fine diatom filter in it. Once the sand is gone your done. If you keep stiring the sand then you have a water flow issue.
The important thing to remember is that even southdown sand is really too course for a true DSB. It all should be sized to the creatures living in the sand. At some point the flow for the corals and the graine size have to reach a happy medium. This probly means more flow over the sand instead of into it.
Like alot of stuff in this hobby it is still evolving. Think about it, ten or fifteen years ago you had to be a pro to keep coral alive.
Anyway about Southdown Tropical Play Sand. I was able to get some but they made me buy a whole pallet of 50 lb bags. I live in a western suburb of Chicago Illinois. I have alot left and I am trying to sell it at 17.50 a bag for pick up only. I am not trying to make a lot of money. I am worried that I will have this forever and I want to cover my cost. If I do make a little it will go to pay for live rock. I will trade for interesting live rock. Call my cell 6308808176 and ask for the sandman so I know what you want to ask about

mhurley
06/15/2003, 11:05 PM
Hello Firemouth!

[welcome]

Whereabouts do you live? I'm in Naperville...
Sorry, no need for sand here....got plenty sitting around.

Mike

kaiyokanman28
06/16/2003, 05:59 AM
Hurley!

I'm in Naperville too...well, will be again in two weeks...

Where did you find Southdown Sand? I can definitely use some in a couple of months when I get my tank up and running...especially if it'll save me 50 or 60 bucks plus shipping buying more live sand from TBS.

Cheers!

Andy :wildone:

mhurley
06/16/2003, 06:22 AM
Andy,

I bought my Southdown a year ago from a local guy that picked up a pallet of it. I have not shopped for it locally since then. I'd talk with the person that started this thread about his stockpile, that's right about what I paid for it.

Mike

firemouth4416
06/16/2003, 10:01 AM
I live in the Wheaton Glen Ellyn area. I can help anyone out that needs the sand. I had to buy the whole pallet. I sold some sunday to a guy who had also searched a long time for it. Its like the Holy Grail for fish tanks. I think this hobby is expensive enough. Cheap sand can knock up to 10% off the price of a setup For me that makes a differance.
Thanks for showing interest in Southdown. Here are a few of the interesting sites about it that I have found so far:
Partical size analysis:
http://www.reefs.org/library/article/r_toonen23.htm
Vinegar Test info:
http://www.crabstreetjournal.com/products/southdowntropicalplaysand.html
History of sandbeds and analysis of Southdown with great references:
http://www.rockymountainreefclub.com/article4.html
Pictures of DSB made with Southdown, a how to artical
http://www.theculturedreef.com/livesand.htm

If anyone in Chicagoland needs Southdown call my cell 630 880-8176

kaiyokanman28
06/16/2003, 10:29 AM
Firemouth,

I would be interested in taking a bag of the stuff off your hands...Like I mentioned above, I'm moving back into Naperville in two weeks. Of course I'd come pick it up. I also thought I'd express my interest here initially instead of calling you on the cell phone and using your minutes.

Thanks for making the sand available and looking forward to meeting you.

Cheers!

firemouth4416
06/16/2003, 11:09 AM
That sounds great. Feel free to call when you want to buy. Thanks and tell me what you think of Deep Sand Bed setups. I am leaning toward a 4-5 inch final depth including the live sand on top.

makoshark
06/16/2003, 12:31 PM
FWIW- Here is link to someone I feel to be an utmost authority on Deep Sand Beds.

http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/r_shimek_090698.html

Dr. Shimek recommends a minimum of 4" and 6-8" as a Maximum. Not to say that you couldn't have a deeper bed, but you probably wouldn't see any additional benefit from it.

Good luck!

kaiyokanman28
06/16/2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by firemouth4416
That sounds great. Feel free to call when you want to buy. Thanks and tell me what you think of Deep Sand Bed setups. I am leaning toward a 4-5 inch final depth including the live sand on top.

I'm looking at a 4-inch DSB myself...As for what I think of them...I understand the theory and have seen LOADS of testimonials that they work, so it's the setup I'm placing all my faith in. I definitely see the merits in it and can't see too many downsides. But it's only backed by reading and research, not experience...*smiles*...I'll let you know about October or November what I think of them from experience...:D

Cheers!

firemouth4416
06/16/2003, 08:38 PM
That artical from makosark by shimek was great, thanks. It just goes to show you that theres so much to learn.

makoshark
06/16/2003, 10:21 PM
That artical from makosark by shimek was great, thanks. It just goes to show you that theres so much to learn.

Glad you enjoyed it! I spent a lot of time researching before I got back into the hobby. It was worth the three months of looking at an empty tank while I learned the proper methods.

firemouth4416
06/16/2003, 10:45 PM
I know exactly what your going through. I am 2 months in and I am just putting the sand in. I think I know enough to get this far. Next step LIFE in my tank.
I think I will buy Dr ron Shimeks book " sandbed secrets... the common sense way to biological filtration" Does anyon Know about this book? I saw it at "ereeftank" wedsite for 6.99. How many pages? Was it helpful? He seems to have a common sense attitude

mhurley
06/17/2003, 06:13 AM
I think I will buy Dr ron Shimeks book " sandbed secrets... the common sense way to biological filtration" Does anyon Know about this book? I saw it at "ereeftank" wedsite for 6.99. How many pages? Was it helpful? He seems to have a common sense attitude

I've got it. It's more of a pamphlet than a book, 30 pages long. It's a fine informational handbook about ecosystems and how they work but nothing earth shattering about DSB's. Ron's approach is basically to use varying sizes of grains and have it at least 4" deep. The section about the sandbed contstruction is 3 pages long, everything else is the biology leading up to that construction.

Mike

Racenrich
06/20/2003, 11:30 PM
Hate to burst your bubble, but the store in Homewood, IL. I-80 and halsted has southdown for $6.99, 50#.
I had them order some up and with a posted thread have gone through 5 pallets now. Its in the garden section.
:cool:

Merkur
06/30/2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Racenrich
Hate to burst your bubble, but the store in Homewood, IL. I-80 and halsted has southdown for $6.99, 50#.
I had them order some up and with a posted thread have gone through 5 pallets now. Its in the garden section.
:cool:

i went out there this weekend and all i could find is the Quickrete Playsand. are they out of the southdown or is that quickcrete stuff what we are refering to?

help! :eek:

Micky
06/30/2003, 06:55 PM
No, its not the quickrete... its the real deal Southdown. I was there about a month ago and picked up about 10 bags... (Good to have some stock) I have heard that they have gone through about 3-4 pallets of southdown there. I can't remember who got the store to ship it in, maybe do a search on it to find out who was able to get them to ship it in. Best of luck...