PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of my DIY canopy,,,Finally!!

Leviathan
06/14/2003, 05:30 AM
Heres some pictures of the canopy I built about a month and a half ago. It is complete with the exception of being stained, which I hope to do very soon.

Heres the stand, canopy and tank ( the new 75 gallon I got last week to replace my 3 year old one that cracked ) from the front.

Leviathan
06/14/2003, 05:35 AM
Inside looking towards 1 of 2 Radioshack 60 CFM fans ( One mounted on each end ) I have had for 3+ years.

BTW- I used to have both of them sucking out the hot air. A couple weeks ago I reversed them both to blow into the canopy and the entire system dropped 2 full degrees.:D

Leviathan
06/14/2003, 05:37 AM
Inside again, two 95 watt super actinic URI R actinic VHO's. I will be mounting 1 or 2 more on the other side sometime soon.

Leviathan
06/14/2003, 05:39 AM
One of my brand new 175 watt electronic ARO ballast. Theses replaced my old dual magnetic ballast. I absoultly love them!:)

Leviathan
06/14/2003, 05:43 AM
Last one.

This is from the front with the lid open, looking into the sun.:D

Overall I am very happy with how the project turned out, seeing as how this is really my first venture in building anything like this. I am no carpenter, so dont laugh.;)

BTW

The reflectors really made a huge difference from the old hamilton setup I had on there for years.

Westpat
06/14/2003, 01:22 PM
Very Nice.
The last pic looks like something from sci fi.
Does the canopy only open from the to, or does it oben on the front also?

My brother built mine, and it hinges on top, but also has doors in front. This is so much nicer when feeding time comes. It is vey simple to do and has magnetic hinges that hold them closed.

I am glad you are getting back to where you were,
David

Leviathan
06/15/2003, 12:29 AM
Does the canopy only open from the to, or does it oben on the front also?

Just from the top. It makes it easier for me to get into the tank when I need to. Being 6'7 tall I have long enough arms to reach to the bottom, so its not a problem.

Glad you like it.:)

Westpat
06/15/2003, 04:47 AM
And I thought you went with Leviathan just because it sounded so cool!

Look forward to seeing your progression!

David

Leviathan
06/15/2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Westpat
And I thought you went with Leviathan just because it sounded so cool!

LOL,

Thats a good one.:D

Mariner
06/15/2003, 06:17 AM
Nice work, as always.
That last pic does remind one of the landing lights on a Romulan Star Cruiser.... :D
Mariner

Leviathan
06/15/2003, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the complement.:)

There will be some coral and tank shots soon. I hate taking tank pics when a leather is shedding and closed up.;)

jpsx3
06/17/2003, 09:48 AM
Tank looks great, I am glad everything is coming together.

My next purchase is going to be some of those fans. Do you have them on a thermostat or do they stay on as long as the lights are on?

Westpat
06/17/2003, 11:07 AM
Paul the fan that is on my metal halide is wired directly to the ballast so that when the light comes on the fan does also. I find this to be effective and hassle free.

David

Leviathan
06/17/2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by jpsx3
Tank looks great, I am glad everything is coming together.

My next purchase is going to be some of those fans. Do you have them on a thermostat or do they stay on as long as the lights are on?

They are wired to come on when the halides come on and go off when they go off. This keeps my temp. low at 80 and the high at 81.