PDA

View Full Version : Power failure

mjasgt
06/13/2003, 07:24 PM
Like most of South County, I was without power for 48 hours. I lost quite a few fish and have developed a red algae that looks like it has air bubbles attached. I am missing a couple of small chromis. Should I tear it down to find those two or what. Also, I did one 15 % water change right after the power returned, should I do another one right away or wait? Any help would be appreciated.

dela
06/13/2003, 09:55 PM
I would do nothing major. Just let the tank get back on track. It's going to cycle and adjust all over again.

I lost power in KC for five days last winter. The tank never really quite recovered as some things were lost for good, but I was amazed at how much stuff survived.

Running battery powered pupms made the difference. They are cheap and a must have IMO.

steviep
06/14/2003, 01:04 AM
mjasgt,

Sorry to hear it. Where is South County are you? I'm in Oakville, and was driving through Afton when the storm hit. I honestly wasn't sure I was going to drive away in one piece, trees were coming down around me and the wind was AMAZING.

I've got some friends in Afton who still don't have power. Pretty powerful storm.

SteveP

mjasgt
06/14/2003, 07:42 PM
Right by Grant's Farm, we got blasted pretty well. Except for the fish loss, everything else seems to be coming back to form. I got emergency pumps now, should have done it before this happened. A valuable (and costly) lesson. I dod find out imsurance does not cover pets, I wonder if you can get a rider for stuff like that?