PDA

View Full Version : We need your help to protect a beautiful reef in Fiji!

Piero
06/13/2003, 04:55 PM
We need your help to protect a beautiful reef in Fiji!

And you can do it with a click of your mouse each day. Moreover, it will cost you nothing to sign up for the Waitabu Reef Protection drive.

CORAL's new fundraising partner, EarthAIDE, lets you support CORAL's effort to protect Waitabu Reef from overfishing and anchor damage, for free. All you have to do is subscribe to an email newsletter. When you receive the email, open it and click on the "Donate FREE" button. Our sponsor for this event, Care2.com, will make a contribution to CORAL for each click you make until this goal is funded.

You pay nothing, but Waitabu Reef gets the funding it needs.

Located on Fiji's Taveuni Island, Waitabu Marine Park is a vibrant reef set aside for the benefit of snorkel tourism and environmental education. CORAL is partnering with the Fiji Locally Managed Marine Area Network and Resort Support to set up boundary markers and mooring buoys that will protect the reef from fishing and anchor damage. Already a successful site of sustainable tourism, the project will ensure that the reef will continue to thrive.

To sign up for the Waitabu Reef Protection drive, please visit
http://www.earthaide.com

Coral Reef Alliance
http://www.coral.org

Piero
06/13/2003, 08:09 PM
damn it's chatty roun here!:)

emull
06/13/2003, 08:24 PM
Great Idea I'm in:bounce1:

Anemone
06/13/2003, 08:42 PM
[moved]

Kevin

inwall75
06/13/2003, 09:01 PM
I have several hobbies....reef's, photography, bonsai, and computers. Your reeflabs and Trancium web pages indicate interest in the same. I have both of your web pages in my favorites list because I like to "look at all of the pretty pictures".

I didn't originally post because it looked like a bunch of scam emails I receive that say, "XYZ Corp can track your emails and for each person you forward this email to, we will donate $X to So and So charity".

I haven't purchased anything from you yet because I'm saving up money for a big purchase right now. However, if you appreciate great photo's, go look at his web pages. (I hope I don't drive up your server usage...if I do, I hope you get some business).

I have not pursued "due diligence" on either page as of yet. However, I don't think that "Piero's" personality lends itself to being scammed and then passing it on.

I'm working right now, so you guy's can do your own due diligence.

Piero
06/13/2003, 11:14 PM
Hey Inwall,
Thanks so much for the compliments, and yes we certainly have many hobbies in common! I look forward to hearin from ya...but this post I did on the behalf of the Coral Reef Alliance, It's not my project, just passin on the word.

emull
06/13/2003, 11:32 PM
great pix. I think I will be ordering maybe in the near future. Just added clam coral and anenome 2 days ago.:rolleye1:

Piero
06/14/2003, 01:49 AM
thanx emull,
I'm glad you enjoy my site and the photography as well. :) I don't know what I like better, coral...or pictures of coral:)

BUT i digress...
lol!..you guys are crakin me up... this is a thread I started about a Coral Reef Alliance program that lets you help save a Fijian reef, and all I get back are compliments on my website?!;) I'm always greatful for kudos though, so just PM me. Hope you all signed up before drooling on the monitor:)
ciao!

emull
06/14/2003, 12:04 PM
signed up and donatedf twice already:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wavehand:

inwall75
06/14/2003, 09:45 PM
so did I

Kara
06/16/2003, 12:59 PM
I'm signed up and I'm gonna keep on donating! ;)

Crawdad1
06/17/2003, 03:56 PM
So bascily we are donation to save a reef. Let me ask you this. On your web site http://www.reeflabs.com/livestock.htm you are selling chili corals.
http://www.reeflabs.com/images/W03092.gif
What do you reccomend in terms of care for this coral. I was with the understanding that they are next to impossilbe to care for and should be left on the reef. Just a simple question.

BTW, Excellent job on your web site!

inwall75
06/17/2003, 04:10 PM
They have to be turkey basted food on a regular basis. I have a friend who has one.

http://www.nano-reef.com/corals/chilicoral.htm

Crawdad1
06/17/2003, 04:28 PM
inwall75, that is actually a great page. I feel strongly that people who sell corals should list the care for those corals. Some first timer would wonder upon this Chili coral and buy it with out knowing it basically has to be hand fed would kill it with in a months time. I think the first step to saving a reef should be with the on-line and LFS vendors educating their customers.

Piero
06/17/2003, 09:16 PM
that's good advice guys. I'll plan to make some changes definitely. I've not had a problem at all with mine. Had them a few months now. Had no idea there was rumor of extreme difficulty. I DO stay away from elegance, gonioporas, and dendroneptheas for just those reasons.

I'm a firm believer in education, but I'm more inclined to recommend someone self educate rather than try and duplicate the weealth of information out there on husbandry. The internet is a great resource and I expect my visitors to know what they are buying and how to care for it. I'll make a conserted effort though to provide more hand-holding advice on the site for the newbies.

If soemone DOES order somehting requiring spevcific conditions or special attention, I will mention it in the correspondence before cloising the sale. Again, thanks for the feedback all! I'm always trying to improve:)

Piero
06/20/2003, 06:34 PM
I've been thinkin about this a lot, and I'm going to try and work on an online husbandry handbook for my site. I can provide lots of links to other great sources as well. Thanks again for the feedback.:)

Crawdad1
06/20/2003, 07:22 PM
Thanks for understanding that I was not trying to flame you. I see on this board every day people saying we have to save the reef or save the fish, but yet no one (and yes I'm guilty as well) ever posts the husbandry needs for either the corals or fish they sell. I think that if you atleast confirm with the order the needs for the coral like you stated that would be good enough. Adding it to your site would would give other people some where to link to when asked about corals nad drive up traffic. I guess if I singled you out, and I'm sorry. I think I was having a bad afternoon. Keep up the good work. And once again outstanding job on your web site design!

Piero
06/20/2003, 08:33 PM
I always say...compliments are nice, but criticism can be helpful:)

WarrenG
06/28/2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Piero
[B]We need your help to protect a beautiful reef in Fiji!

Located on Fiji's Taveuni Island, Waitabu Marine Park is a vibrant reef set aside for the benefit of snorkel tourism and environmental education. CORAL is partnering with the Fiji Locally Managed Marine Area Network and Resort Support to set up boundary markers and mooring buoys that will protect the reef from fishing and anchor damage. Already a successful site of sustainable tourism, the project will ensure that the reef will continue to thrive.

A little FYI about that reef. There are dozens and dozens of scuba divers visiting that area during most weeks of the year and the resorts on Taveuni make alot of money as result. How much are the resorts and scuba divers contributing to the reef's protection? Are the resorts volunteering to install the mooring buoys free of charge so their boats don't damage the reef? These two things are utilized in other parts of the world. Are similar measures being taken on the many other reefs around Fiji that are frequented by divers?

BTW, I've done some diving there myself and most of the damage is done by local fishermen and unscrupulous dive operators who don't train their divers to protect the reef from their hands and fins while diving.

-Warren

Jimmy719
06/30/2003, 11:01 PM
I had the link to earthaide copied and ready to paste to start a new thread... too funny.

Why is no one posting here... I hope that doesn't mean nobody's donating. To be honest, I don't know specifics. I do know that I don't even have my tank yet, and I often get a sinking feeling when I think about junk I might take from the places I claim need urgent help. Damn. Anyways... it's definitely free, you don't get spam, no catches, no gimmicks. Most of us will be taking from reefs like this, why not give back? It's free.

I've made donations daily for almost two weeks now- get on the bandwagon!

Jimmy

Piero
07/01/2003, 08:26 PM
I'm still donating!!:)