PDA

View Full Version : How about a thread on the best LFS in Wisconsin

ReeferAl
06/13/2003, 04:20 PM
Any strong recommendations? Personally, the only stores that I have been to that have stood out as buy there.
Allen

grafxguy
06/13/2003, 04:38 PM
I think it all varies. There are stores tha I don't go in because I have a problem with management but are nice stores.

For corals the best place hands down is Gooch's Corals in DePere/Green Bay.

eric

Hvy_Dty
06/13/2003, 04:39 PM
Hi, Al! I've been to a few in Milwaukee and the best experience I've had is with Aquatics Unlimited. Their people are very helpful and seem to know what they're doing (for a LFS) :D. The fish they have are very healthy, but they are pricey. I always try to bargin with them before buying anything.

Mikey Kliff
06/13/2003, 11:32 PM
Hmmm, nothing realy sticks out in my head......Pet worlds are okay, just wait for the sale weeks..... Aquatics Unlimited is pretty nice, they need more saltwater......corals are way too pricy, and they barley have much for it

Fish Factory I like, mostly for there 25-50% off coin flip day

mtodd001
06/16/2003, 04:37 AM
Aqua Exhibits isn't too bad ...you just have to really watch the fish before buying. They also have awesome sharks!

Gem Tang Rider
06/16/2003, 07:42 PM
Aqua Exhibits is pretty good. Keep tanks at low salinity levels to drive off disease.
Aquatics Unlimited is hit & miss. Some help is snobby & way over priced. Keep fish in copper to kill any disease.
Pets &Things has very good prices, & the owner is fairly knowlegable on saltwater.

mtodd001
06/17/2003, 04:38 AM
Where is pets & things located? I have never been there.

tqhot
06/17/2003, 09:17 PM
Pets 'N Things is located in Cudahy, the address is 5869 S Packard Ave. Living downtown I am not that far away form Aqua Exhibits, they have a nice selection, their inventory just seems to move real fast so the fish tend to be more stressed out by the time they get to your home tank. Just take a look at he dates they came into the store, their shipments usually come in on Tues. They are great to work with will usually put a fish off to the side if you pick one out to make sure it doesn't become overly stressed. Prices are very good usually.

Carribean Reef Man
07/08/2003, 05:28 PM
I know of a new place that is going to expand soon. Should be up and running by the end of July. Wisconsin K-9 Center LLC and other pets too in Shorewood, WI

The owner is a nice and very knowledgeable.

hwynboy
07/13/2003, 11:38 PM
Aqua Exhibits seems to be the concensus and I definitely agree they have the best selection bar none, the owner there is super friendly and he and his wife are both EXTREMELY knowledgable and their staff is as well. I personally like to drive from Madison (I used to live in Milwaukee) just to see their wares. But yes they are not the cheapest in town.
That other small cramped store in Cudahy on Layton avenue is good too. Peter I think his name is, is the store owner and he gives great deals and very knowledgable as well.
I recently am starting up a SW tank actually Im jumping in with both feet and am planning to do 2 of them. Im getting out of the freshwater deal all together, trying something new.

chicorodriguez
07/18/2003, 02:46 PM
I worked at Aqua Exhibits until 2 weeks ago... Thanks for the good feedback :)

Although I disagree, they are the cheapest around for fish, and after I warned my friend away from buying a tank from Aquatics unlimited for 500 (full set up), we found the same set up at AE for 370...

Maybe I'm biased :)

Probably :)

- CR

Red Sea Purple Tang
07/19/2003, 07:37 AM
What about that place out on Good Hope and 76th? I was there last year and their corals looked pretty decent. I'm from Milwaukee....unfortunate transplant in SW Missouri.

Hvy_Dty
07/22/2003, 08:19 PM
The place off 76th and Good Hope if Hoffers. They have a decent selection of fish and corals. They are a little pricey, though. I just stopped up there today after work and checked their stuff out. A good variety of stuff.

chicorodriguez
07/23/2003, 02:40 PM
Hoffers is great for looking and getting Ideas... but buying? You're gonna be helping them pay for their Wal*Mart-esque store :)

- CR

grafxguy
07/24/2003, 04:33 PM
Chico, is that your real name? I am a regular at AE as my credit union is right next door. eric

Shia
07/24/2003, 10:35 PM
Could someone tell me how Pets &Things compares to Aqua Exhibits in price, fish health, and variety?

Also does Pets &Things give a warrenty on fish like AE?

chicorodriguez
07/24/2003, 10:50 PM
Nope, My name is Chris. I'm the tall blonde dude with glasses. Unless I gave you bad information. then I'm the other guy. ;)

- CR

tqhot
07/25/2003, 08:50 AM
Tall Blonde dude, with CURLY HAIR I bet, probably go to an engineering school in the area as well????

chicorodriguez
07/25/2003, 03:00 PM
Very possible :D Yeah that's me. I had to quit because I was working 70+ hours a week, three jobs... now I'm down to 40 and loving it :)

What did you buy, maybe I'll remember ya

- CR

chicorodriguez
07/25/2003, 03:01 PM
Holy bejeebus, Tqhot!?!? are you J.V.? LOL no way.

Shia
08/03/2003, 01:04 PM
Could someone tell me how Pets &Things compares to Aqua Exhibits in price, fish health, and variety?

Also does Pets &Things give a warrenty on fish like AE?

chicorodriguez
08/08/2003, 02:36 PM
Where is Pets n Things?

tqhot
08/08/2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by tqhot
Pets 'N Things is located in Cudahy, the address is 5869 S Packard Ave.

longahan
08/09/2003, 07:11 PM
I would have to say there isnt any really good ones around.I drive to reef dweller in chicago for all my corals,it seems like kinda far to drive but it only takes me 1.5 hours and i get way better stuff.I could drive a half hour to millwakee and get half dead stuff,or very poor shape.For tank prices i would have to say pet stuff in west bend.He beats everyone,and if he doesnt have it he will get it for you.

jayinc
08/10/2003, 04:05 PM
Hello

First of all, I'm not trying to take over this thread, I was just hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I am interested in joining the WRS but have had little luck getting a hold of anyone to give me info on how to proceed. If anyone can help it would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Jay

jayinc
08/10/2003, 04:10 PM
If anyone is around the Madison area I have found the Aquarium Superstore to be very friendly and knowledgable. They usually have a great selection of fish and corals and the prices (depending on what you're looking for, I guess) are certainly reasonable.

Aquatic Specialties has some very nice specimens as well, again, reasonably priced.

Both worth taking a look!

grafxguy
08/11/2003, 09:18 AM
I personally like Aqua Exhibits in downtown Milwaukee. His prices are good and stock is pretty decent. The store itself is a dive but you get what you pay for. Look at Hoffers. Great looking store but the prices are crazy.

For corals and stuff I highly recommend Gooch's Corals. Awesome stuff and great service. I have their store link on the WRS web site. Check them out.

eric

MiddletonMark
08/18/2003, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by jayinc
If anyone is around the Madison area I have found the Aquarium Superstore to be very friendly and knowledgable. They usually have a great selection of fish and corals and the prices (depending on what you're looking for, I guess) are certainly reasonable.

Aquatic Specialties has some very nice specimens as well, again, reasonably priced.

Both worth taking a look!

True. Aq. Superstore is what I would call our best local store ... generally healthy fish and corals, decent advice, and generally the best selection. Aquatic Specialties can be hit or miss. Have seen some really nice things there, also got a sick fish from there.
[didn't show it, but ich]

Both stock a few captive-propagated corals, which at least is a start.

However, having made the drive to Green Bay this weekend, I cannot say enough good stuff about Gooch's corals. Not sure I saw a single `sick' coral there, everything seemed to be doing great in all his tanks. 5 large reef tanks packed with corals, 2 growout tanks with corals ... pretty much every variety, color, and morph - I felt like a kid in a candy store.

Beat any LFS I've seen, hands-down. Never mind many captive propagated pieces, and the only things I saw that were expensive were also very large, healthy, and unique specimens you just wouldn't see anywhere else. I was glad I was staying up there overnight, I was so overwhelmed I needed time to go and think about whether I wanted pink or orange or yellow/orange or green or blueish or ... or ... or ... zoo's. Or which of the roughly dozen acro colors/forms I was most interested in.

Everything that's on his site, and then a whole lot more.

Gooch's Corals - the best selection by far, very reasonable prices, non-LFS advice [real advice you can trust], a great guy, more captive prop corals than anywhere else - never mind a discount for being in WRS. I doubt I'll buy corals local anymore, Gooch's prices make up for the gas-money to get there - and he has 5 times the available choices. Few if any fish, but coral heaven.

Really a first class shop, great guy.

jayinc
08/18/2003, 12:45 PM
Gooch's sounds great Mark! Where exactly are they located? I make frequent trips up to the Appleton area and certainly wouldn't mind the extra distance up to Green Bay to check it out!

So, what did you end up going with? And what kind of price did you pay for it?

Thanks.

Jay

perculaclownguy
08/20/2003, 10:50 PM
I went to a LFS in janesville WI that was pretty good. clean tanks and lots of fish and corals. havn't been there in a while though. it was near a chinese buffet and across the street from a chevy plant if I remember right. I moved from Lake Geneva to Milwaukee about 2 years ago so my memory is kinda hazy.

Gooch's sounds pretty cool. I may be taking a ride up there in a week or two to buy... er look at what they have.

MiddletonMark
08/22/2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by jayinc
Gooch's sounds great Mark! Where exactly are they located? I make frequent trips up to the Appleton area and certainly wouldn't mind the extra distance up to Green Bay to check it out!

So, what did you end up going with? And what kind of price did you pay for it?

Well, I found that he has more stuff than is on his online site [www.goochscorals.com], and his selection was really extraordinary. Many color morphs and varieties of what I was looking for [something like 8 or 10 different varieties of Monti.Caps] ... really the only thing I didn't see in huge abundance was mushrooms - which I wasn't looking for. More cool polyps that I"ve seen anywhere else ... and a great variety of stuff.

As for prices, they were quite good. I got nearly all frags/aquacultured stuff, and his were comparable to most online folks who sell them. Very generous sized frags ... and varied according to the size piece. I couldn't tell you off-hand, but he easily beat any LFS around here, even for frags. Never mind having them all healthy and doing well.

Plus that 10% discount for being a WRS member ... which helped when I could only limit myself to 5 :)

He's in DePere, which is the southeastern side of Green Bay along I43. Pretty convenient for those driving from the south.

If you're going in a month or so from Madison-area - let me know. There's a few things I passed on that I'd be tempted to get - once I get my second tank up and running then.