PDA

View Full Version : 95% of my SPS are captive raised...

BonsaiNut
06/13/2003, 12:48 PM
I wonder how many people are having similar experiences with their reef tanks, especially if you live in an area with an active reef-keeping club or society, and with the advent of online coral frag retailers. Today I was looking at my tank and realized that out of all of my corals, only three came from the wild (two Goniporas and a small Acropora). Every other coral was captive raised. My most expensive coral is captive raised as well (A. tortuosa), so it goes to show that captive-raised doesn't necessarily mean less expensive (for super rare or colorful varieties). :)

pbanda
06/13/2003, 12:59 PM
Besides my anemone, fish and LR everything in my tank is captive raised( bought and traded ).

JohnL
06/13/2003, 03:22 PM
I find that captive raised frags do a lot better long term.

fishome25
06/18/2003, 08:32 PM
How do you know that the frags you bought online are really captive raised. Some places I believe, but I'm sure many chop up wild colonies and sell them as frags. Its more profitable selling that way. I wish there was a way to really know for sure.

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
06/19/2003, 01:26 PM
60 pounds of walt smith lr. (is this aquacultured? i thought it was wild but walt smith is an aquaculturer right?)

seeded southdown

2 black ocellaris (tank raised)

1 cherub angel (wild i think)

all sps are frags from local reefer's colonies and zoos are captive raised. Xenia is definetly tank raised and fungia is wild. Not much else in my tank right now:D

Psychedelic Mandarin
06/23/2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by BlAcK_PeRcUlA
[B]60 pounds of walt smith lr. (is this aquacultured? i thought it was wild but walt smith is an aquaculturer right?)

My understanding is that he has two types: one is aquacultured and the other is regular live rock. I believe that the regular live rock was taken from a place where they were building a port or something (so the aquarium demand was not the reason for the removal).

I could be wrong so someone correct me if that is the case.