PDA

View Full Version : So I'm in Petland, and. . .

KorbinDallas
06/12/2003, 08:07 AM
I'm browsing though the mislabeled fish trying to find a deal, and I notice that they're selling coral. They're in a 55 gallon hex tank, with what appeared to be normal fluorescent lighting. But the corals are all lined up on racks on the sides of the tank. Not even under the light. And the rack was made of metal wire. It was coated in white plastic, but bits of the metal wire were poking through. Every coral looked half dead. There was already some guy in there letting them know that they shouldn't be attempting to keep corals. I made sure to throw in my 2 cents. Sad part is, that the kid working in the fish department neither knew what I was talking about nor did he care.

porky
06/13/2003, 09:00 AM
Unfortunately that has been my experience with Petland, they have NO BUSINESS keeping (killing is more like it) corals. When I first started I used to stop in the one on the east side, Hamilton Road but soon realized they were overpriced and the livestock was dead or dying. I will occassionly stop in there for frozen food and am aways appauled my wife leaves there sometimes wanting to cry after looking at the poor condition of the fish, tangs with ick, starving madarins and scooters underfed angels, its just appauling. The corals in this sore are kept in what I would guess is either a 75 or 90 gallon tank and are lit with what I think is NO florescent. The corals are way over priced $99 for a small toadstool? $120 for a 3 head frogspawn? And they would rather let the corals continue to deminish rather than mark them down? I will never understand that?
Considering the condition they keep thier poor puppies I guess I should not be surprised that they would treat corals like this :(

KorbinDallas
06/13/2003, 09:19 AM
Right. I was going to rant on about the dogs too. Bad enough that this company supports puppy mills. I will NEVER understand how people can fail to see the cruelty in keeping dogs in little display tanks.

porky
06/13/2003, 12:12 PM
Yeah I agree it is sickening and anyone who would actually buy a dog from a petstore is almost as sickening.
Everytime I go in there I just want to set the poor puppies free.
One of the local newstations done a report a few weeks back about one family's experience with a Petland purchased puppy. Dog after dog they bought home got sick and died. Basically they went thru 3 dogs before the family said enough we'll just take our money back.
Pet stores should be where you purchase dog (pet) food not dogs (pets) :(

jaguarmonk
03/23/2004, 03:52 PM
I live in Lancaster, and our petland isn't bad.....the guy that runs the fish area has been keeping saltwater tanks for 25 years and is very knowledgable just about everything he has looks healthy... but their is the occasional bad shipment of fish that come in.The guy's name is Jason and he knows more about marine aquariums and reefs than anyone i know. Im new to the hobby, and im goin got be setting up a 75 gal tank for a project for school, and hes gonna help me with it..

sickman
03/23/2004, 03:59 PM
like jaguarmonk shows, it all depends which store you goto, I went to a Petco over by Reynoldsburg once and the guy there who claimed to be a knolegeable salt water guy tried telling me that you don't need live rock, and it can cause bacteria to grow in saltwater tanks (impying that was bad).

Then yesterday I went to the Petco by me on sawmill, and met a cool kid working the register that has 4 tanks, seemed very well informed, helped me alot.

But as far as their puppy/kitten farming, that's just awful, and the sad thing is most people that work there know it, but they want to keep their job.

Just glad I will never be in the position where I have to work somewhere I don't like.

Sloth
03/24/2004, 01:05 PM
I think any store that keeps dogs in aquariums is bad news ;)

fletchman
03/24/2004, 01:48 PM
I agree that there are alot of crazy stores in central ohio.. that try things they are not ready for.... but In regards to jaguarmonks post... Jason is very good...and he does do a nice job in his store...I have done business with him since he was at another petland.... he is very knowledgable... and WONT LIE TO YOU.....if you are looking for a local source and you live in that area he is worth visiting.. among others of course.... the only thing that is a little off with the post on Jason.. is years of Salt experience... 25 is pushing... he is only 29....but has had tanks for most of his life..lol

Ryan

jaguarmonk
03/24/2004, 02:22 PM
Jason told me that he has been caring for salt water fish since he was five years old.....so i guess that means 24 years of experence....(i though the was 30). But i do have to say Jason is the coolest, he is going to be my mentor for a school project (75 gal reef aquarium).

fletchman
03/24/2004, 02:27 PM
na.. I was just kidding... no slam on you... was just giving him a hard time.. in case he sees this... he is a nice guy... and is also who got me into reefs 2 years ago...I use alot of sources now... but he is a great guy ...and gives good advice freely... good source of info.... welcome to the hobby..

Ryan

jaguarmonk
03/24/2004, 05:47 PM
you are currently building a 405 gal reef tank? Have you been in to see Jason in the past few weeks? If you have, i think i have actually talked to you before. the night i got my 12g tank i think you were there.

fletchman
03/25/2004, 08:17 AM
Yes I do recall someone that was there with a nano.....most likly was me... dont get in there much these days... but always looking when I get a chance..

Ryan

missy_moon_2000
04/03/2004, 06:43 PM
I onced worked for the guy that owned the pet land on hamilton rd he also owns the one in westerville at huber ridge he was terrible never go near anything of his . When i worked there if the dogs didn't eat all there food we had to keep it and refed it they would sell dogs before they saw the vet .They sold animals that were still on meds but didn't send meds with new owners for fear they wouldn't buy them . The reptile buyer used to go to the shows and buy really sick stuff so they could make more proffit i could go on and on if anyone needs more info feel free to contact me i turned them in to the humane soceity it was so horrible .

Bryon
04/05/2004, 12:32 AM
My neighbor worked at the Petland in Cambridge. I stopped in one day to buy some frozen food. The conversation got around to my reef tank and she told me she had set up a 75 gallon sw tank and bought 150 dollars worth of fish to put in it. She said that all her fish had died within a few hours. I asked her about her tank parameters. Blank stare. Specific gravity. Blank stare. Asked if she even had a hydrometer. Blank stare. Now she was in charge of the fish department. Thank GOD they only had freshwater in the store but as I was leaving the manager came over and said he was hoping to set up some sw tanks. I just left shaking my head.