PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate and Lighting

Treeman
06/11/2003, 09:02 PM
Anthony,

I just got your book and can't hardly put it down. But I had to, to write this.

I was reading about the bioballs helping to create excess nitrate.
And with all the threads about it on here I have come to the conclusion that I need to do something about it. Why is it that all the LFS tell you that need them for any marine aquarium?:confused:
I have a 90 gal reef that I took out the drain in the overflow and filled it with bioballs to cut down on noise as the tank is in the living room and my wife actually likes to here the TV when she watches it. I was going to take out the balls, but what to put in there place? Live rock rubble? live sand? wouldn't the amount of water going thru this still cause excess nitrate? I could raise the pvc pipe but it would probably be noisy again and wouldn't that stop most of the flow near the bottom of the area?

Also, I have 2-55 watt pc 10,000 k, 2-55 watt pc actinic, 2-40 watt flourescent 50/50 bulbs. the actinic is on about 12 hrs, 10 k- 10 hrs and flourescent - 7 hrs. My problem is that I have been buying Zoanthus in different colors and they are rarely the same colors as the picture. The reds, oranges and yellows seem the same but anything else is just brown. I got some from a show and have had them for about 2 weeks and I took pictures of them and couldn't believe the color diiference in that amount of time. The flourescent orange has become more of a burnt orange. I am sure it is not enough light but didn't want to do to much. Maybe 4 more 55 watt pc?

Thanks so much and am planning on seeing you in Orlando in July.

Thanks Matt:)

Anthony Calfo
06/11/2003, 10:05 PM
Cheers, Matt :) and thanks kindly for the kudos on the book!

"Why is it that all the LFS tell you that you need [bio-balls] for any marine aquarium? "

Many possible reasons... lack of education/awareness on the merchants part likely. Some of these folks (I was one myself of course) can fall into the rut of gettig bogged down with the business of work, that they forget to stay attuned to changing technologies.

Do consider... do these stores send their managers to MACNA or any other big conferences each year. Do they support or even visit the local aquarium society meetings to keep in tune with new techniques.

While its possible to run a healthy reef tank with bio-balls... it simply is more likely to be a burden. Time-tested indeed. The media is really for (and wonderful for) higher bioloads like fish-only tanks where nitrate accumulation is less of an issue.

With enough live rock in the reef tank, the sump can remain empty... or converted for refugium culture.

Regarding the color change inthe zoanthids... many possibilities. Some change from too much UV, other from not enough... others from high nitrates (seriously... the zooxanthellae get "over-fertilzed" so to speak, and the corals turn dark/brown).

Some of those 10K lamsp out there are really terrible too... I prefer Ushio or Aqualines. I wouldn't take most of the others for free.

Try also experimenting with and without lenses between the lights and water over some coplonies or partials.

Be seeing you soon!

kind regards,

Anthony

Treeman
06/12/2003, 08:53 PM
Anthony,

Thanks for the help. I never really thought about the nitrates causing a color change in the Zoanthus. They hold steady between 10-15 which is what I have been trying to solve. But the area I was talking about that has bioballs is in the actual overflow, Inside the tank, in the corner. I cut off the pipe that makes it hold water so it only holds about 2-3 Inches. The overflow from the tank just trickles down thru the bioballs. With a prefilter of course.I could put something in there(like coral rubble,sand) but don't know if it would do anything productive. I have 150 lbs of atlantic and Haiti live rock.

I get all my lamps from HelloLights so I need to research that some because they only have a hellolights sticker. I will try the lenses. What type of material do you suggest first?

Thank You for your time:wavehand:

Matt

Anthony Calfo
06/12/2003, 09:25 PM
the lenses don't have to be fancy at all... even common DIY store glass and acrylic can shield various and sometimes significant amounts of light (or admit them). Simply research the material (see mfg specs) and experiment judiciously at first (3 month trials over small areas for starters)

The nitrates or source quality of light are more likely influences here than UV levels, though, on your color changes IMO

Ciao, bub :)

Treeman
06/13/2003, 05:48 AM
Thanks Again Anthony,

I appreciate all your help and will see you in Orlando.

Matt:)

ps. I'm going to try live rock in the overflow and see if that does anything to the nitrates.