PDA

View Full Version : Anyone doing phytoplankton culture?

kellypark
06/11/2003, 09:22 AM
Hello.
Is their any one locally culturing phytoplankton for your corals?
In my tank, I start to thinking about feeding my corals.
I would like to find you how many people culture phytoplankton by themselves and experience of whole process.
Also like to know if anyone willing to sell some of extra phytoplankton.

Do I also need to feed something else?

Thanks in advance.

ReefHobbyist
06/11/2003, 12:52 PM
I was looking into this at one time. I even posted it as a suggestion for one of the meetings next fall. As far as feeding corals, most of my searching indicates that phytoplankton is an indirect food for SPS. Some LPS and soft corals may feed directly. Clams do definitely. For SPS, the phyto feeds the sandbed, which in turn creates Zooplankton which is the proper size for SPS. Another alernative would be to culture phyto to use as food to culture rotifiers which would be a direct food source for SPS.

I would still like this to be a topic, at least for discussion, at a meeting in the future.

Scott

mhurley
06/11/2003, 03:32 PM
Hey Kelly,

I've started 2 cultures (I should have shown everyone when they were here). I used DT's to start them and they are just about ready to be harvested.

It's a pretty cheap thing to get into, just check out Florida Aqua Farms, they have everything you need. Here's a great website for flameangel on the board. She gives step-by-step instructions on how to do it.
http://www.sjwilson.net/reef/index.html
Just hit the Navigation bar on the right side of the screen and got to Phyto culture...

Mike

kellypark
06/13/2003, 02:01 PM
Thanks Mike for the informaion.
I will look in to that informaion.

Poor Man
06/15/2003, 05:39 PM
My setup, started with a FAF disk.