PDA

View Full Version : Baby Banggai's doing fine

gas4544
04/07/2001, 03:11 PM
Today I took a trip to the LFS that bought my brood of thirty babies. They are now seven weeks old. As I checked them out in the coral tank they are now living in, I asked the guy doing a water change on one of the other tanks if many of them had sold, trying to stimulate conversation. He didn't say much and probably wasn't aware that I was the breeder. Come to think of it, no one else said anything to me. I suppose they just figure if I want something, I'll ask.
I did a quick count and counted between 26 and 30 of them. They haven't had them quite a week yet, and I don't know how aggressively they are marketing them. They have them labeled as TR Banggai's. Hopefully their customers can figure out that TR means tank-raised. The store did not have any other Banggai's in stock.
I stopped by to see how they were doing, and they are looking pretty good. You don't raise the little guys for six weeks (after monitoring the expectant father for four weeks) and not develop some level of attachment to them. I was also curious how much they were selling for. They are priced at $24.99. That's a pretty significant mark-up from five bucks apiece.
Hopefully, the little guys will find good homes. I'll have another batch of babies ready for sale in six weeks or so. My current batch of 26 is now one week old.

Ironreef
04/08/2001, 01:02 AM
I'd like to buy some. maybe 2-3 I'll give you more than $5??If its/when convient for u? How big are they?

gas4544
04/08/2001, 03:01 PM
Iron,
They're still very small and will be on a diet of baby brine shrimp for at least another four weeks. Would you like to wait until I get them eating frozen food in a month or so?

Ironreef
04/08/2001, 05:59 PM
yes. I would rather have them eating larger foods. Now how big will they be? I have a neon goby thats1/2-3/4" long but its smart enough to stay away from the overflow. Just want to make sure I don't DOOM them. But I would like to take care of there needs but not at the cost of a separate tank.Let me know whadda you think. later

gas4544
04/10/2001, 10:24 AM
When I dropped them off at the LFS at six weeks old, they approximately 3/4" long. After they start eating frozen food, their growth rate increases. I'll hold onto this batch for at least another five weeks, maybe a little longer if I can.

[Edited by gas4544 on 04-10-2001 at 05:20 PM]