PDA

View Full Version : What should PSAS be in 2003 - 2004?

Mushroom Boy
06/09/2003, 11:12 AM
The club's board is in the planning phase for next year's season of events. We're looking for ideas from you. Let's turn this thread into an open forum where you can have your voice heard regarding next year's season. Are there any topics you would like focused on at a meeting? Any particular guest speakers you'd be interested in seeing? Any events you'd like the club to host? Let's hear it folks. This is YOUR club, what do you want it to be???

Paul M.

ephrim
06/09/2003, 12:45 PM
how about something on fish diseases. as i am lossing ground in this area.

dnjan
06/09/2003, 02:23 PM
Sand Exchange - Big Yes

Frag Swap - Yes, but would it be possible to set up an on-line viewing ahead of time? (people submit small pictures of frags, and they get posted so we can see what they look like before being disturbed/moved)

I would like to hear a speaker on "emergency measures" - everything ranging from filtering (carbon versus other products, phosgard, etc) to electrical back-up (what is minimum, how long will it last, etc) to heat problems (what can a bag of ice really do).

Grouper Dog
06/09/2003, 03:37 PM
How about a trip to the Seattle Aquarium for a behind the scenes tour. I will even volunteer to check into it and see if the aquarium would accomodate us.

Zack S
06/09/2003, 07:26 PM
I also would like diseases. A guy named Terry B came and talked a whil back lives up in Gig Harbor, he could be a great speaker.

I think more frag swaps would be cool as well, got to love them :)

David_Winther
06/09/2003, 09:52 PM
I would like to see a club "Tank of the Month" similar to something like Reef Central does. With pictures and a small commentary by the owner. We could pick a person to be the TOM poc or something and they would write the article and what not.

I think that by doing this we would open up opportunities for postive discussion on how we do our set-ups and such. Be good for us neebies to try and gleen info from you know alls! ;-)

Just a thought.

-Dave
:bum:

Gordo
06/09/2003, 10:07 PM
Good idea Dave! I'd liked to see some additional discussion around the tank of the month idea. Pro and Cons. What does everyone think?

Keep the other ideas coming as well. This is YOUR club!

~Gordon~

chich
06/09/2003, 11:06 PM
sand and frag swap definately. discussion of different type of reef systems I.E. Berlin, Ecosystem- DSB vs no SB at all.

thanks
Chich
Patiently waiting for August. :)

ijji
06/09/2003, 11:50 PM
I like Dave's idea as well, but would like to also see more discussions concerning less 'established tanks'; Softies, F.O.'s. etc. - that would help balance out the 'digitata this' and 'acropora that' :D

chich
06/10/2003, 10:00 AM
How about an Acrylic DIY discussion?

Just a Thought

Chich

jazznreef
06/10/2003, 11:09 AM
oh, nice, i like that acrylic idea... i have also been curious about the possibilities of customizing using acrylic !

Mushroom Boy
06/10/2003, 03:41 PM
Great ideas everybody! Keep 'em coming! I'll bring a printout of what this thread becomes to our next board meeting for all to see...

Here's my $.02, I've thought it would be cool to have a "reef villains" meeting. You know, where we focus on a system that's setup exclusively to house what would otherwise be considered a pest in a reef tank. An example would be a mantis shrimp tank, or maybe an aiptasia tank (man, that just gives me the creeps :)).

Paul.

Mushroom Boy
06/10/2003, 03:42 PM
Great ideas everybody! Keep 'em coming! I'll bring a printout of what this thread becomes to our next board meeting for all to see...

Here's my $.02, I've thought it would be cool to have a "reef villains" meeting. You know, where we focus on a system that's setup exclusively to house what would otherwise be considered a pest in a reef tank. An example would be a mantis shrimp tank, or maybe an aiptasia tank (man, that just gives me the creeps :)).

Paul.

katchupoy
06/10/2003, 05:21 PM
Like grouper dog said, a trip to Seattle Aquarium or Point Defiance Zoo. They have some very nice behind the scenes equipment out there.

SlowBoat
06/10/2003, 06:49 PM
I would really enjoy a behind the scenes look at the Seattle Aquarium or Point Defiance Zoo.

How about a couple of DIY workshops around acrylic, plumbing, woodworking or a listing of DIYers out there that would be willing to help out on projects.

arkman
06/12/2003, 12:15 AM
maybe even a DIY workshop? We could all build something simple to get the basics and maybe learn a new trick or two...

I know that I could use a QT - or maybe the project should be something smaller and uniform - how about a plankton tank, or a pod tanks --- or a combo (just saw a neat photoplankton/zooplankton combo online ;)

Would also like to have a discussion on "reef keeping ethics" - Im sure there is a differenc of opinion here, its good to share views/thoughts.

David_Winther
06/13/2003, 09:49 PM
I like the idea of building a phyto tank or something if somebody knows how. I think I saw the same set-up on-line that you did. Very nice.

-Dave

Sweettoothbear
06/14/2003, 07:47 AM
A D.I.Y. workshop on calcium reactors,or acrylic projects in general.

A behind the scenes tour would also be great,even if we had to chip in a little from are pockets.

dnjan
06/14/2003, 02:05 PM
Yes, a meeting on phytoplankton, rotifer, and brine shrimp growing would be good. Including both the process, and how to DIY a small setup for home.

Mushroom Boy
06/23/2003, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the input folks. I'm bringing a printout of this to tonight's board meeting...