PDA

View Full Version : Any Protein Skimmers?...

jetstorm
06/08/2003, 03:32 PM
I need some suggestions for a skimmer. I have a 30gal currently with a penguin 330. I know that that isnot the best setup , but I am slowly changing over to LR and LS. I put about 50lbs of southdown in a few days ago. The sandstorm cleared up overnight.

I am looking for a skimmer now. Any suggestions would be helpful....or maybe some one would have a used one they want to get rid of:D

ThingsReef
06/08/2003, 04:20 PM
I recently ordered a "Hot One" Skimmer for my wife's 36 bowfront in her office. It comes with a Maxijet 1200 and a little air induction gig that pushes into the end of the powerhead. It's working extremely well so far. The "sludge" that's coming out of it is pretty nasty. Not too hard to adjust either. I ordered from Premium Aquatics for $169.
The only complaint I have is the cup has an opening threaded for a small pvc fitting about 1" from the bottom (fitting included). This is the vent or can be used as a drain but unless you put a piece of hose on the end and use it as a drain it doesn't hold much. You will need some tubing that will fit the outlet of the powerhead to the inlet of the skimmer. The directions say use the black tube but it wasn't there. You'll also need some tubing for the cup vent, I ran mine into a 1 gallon jug that's on the top ridge of the tank so it can't overflow.
If you're handy you can make one out of pvc. This is what I made for my 90 (check out ctars.org...members tanks...Bill Worthington)

Good luck.

eifert
06/08/2003, 04:53 PM
Check out the Remora Pro. It's an easy setup and works great. Its a small company and they have good tech support for it. I've used a few (Berlin Turbo - stopped working and constant tweaking of the air, and a Cyclone - lots of bubbles in the tank.)

bdr127
06/08/2003, 06:20 PM
Yeah, definitely check out the AquaC Remora.... www.proteinskimmer.com
They have a side-by-side specs between their different skimmers, so you might want to compare the Remora and Remora Pro. The Pro would be pretty high-powered on a 30g, but some people really like to over-skim.
You can usually find people selling these in the selling forum.... typically people upgrading to larger tanks. ;)

jetstorm
06/09/2003, 06:29 AM
Should I go either the rio800 or the maxijet1200 pump for the remora?

bdr127
06/09/2003, 08:37 AM
I recommend the Maxijet.... MJ powerheads are very reliable.
Rio powerheads are... well..... :rolleyes: